Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Father Son Project (1930 Model A 5 window build)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jake Sippl, Jan 20, 2016.

1. A Boner

A Boner

image.png Reducing the frame "Z" sure improved the way the car sits! Before the front looked too high, or the rear looked too low....now the stance is perfect.
    That little Model A is lucky it found such a good home with you and your dad!

LSJUNIPER and brEad like this.
  2. Jake Sippl

Jake Sippl
    from Detroit MI

Lou do you happen to have a picture of the brackets for the seat? I'm curious to see how you did it.

3. Jake Sippl

Jake Sippl
    from Detroit MI

Yeah talking about giving it more of a rake, it totally gives it more of an attitude. I definitely like it a lot more. And thanks! Neither of us plan to get rid of it.

BenLeBlanc likes this.
  4. Lou39

Lou39
    from Cedar, MI

Will do in the AM

5. Lou39

Lou39
    from Cedar, MI

Sorry Jake have pics but cannot figure out how to upload..followed the tutorial, no can do. gotta find a kid somewhere to help. Can email tho if you want to inquire personally.

6. Jake Sippl

Jake Sippl
    from Detroit MI

ok go ahead and email me.
    I will post them up here for everyone else to see when I get them.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
  7. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

bummed... tried my mustang / bronco seats this AM.... at least 1" too wide... 1st measurement on this thread said 42.5"... later was 40.5"... ?
    my '30 coupe is 42" door center to door center, 6" from the floor... my seats are 21.5" wide... '65's and '68's...
    the maroon seat pictured above looks to fit nice, and appears to have factory upholstry...
    what year caravan middle seat is that ?

8. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

Yes the package tray is in the way, but if you lower it 6" or more the seatback's angle doesn't hit it...
    snake int. 10, rumble pts 002.JPG

9. Jake Sippl

Jake Sippl
    from Detroit MI

For any interested, these are the pictures Lou39 sent me via email. seat brackets he made for his coupe for the caravan seat.
    DSCN1718.JPG DSCN1719.JPG DSCN1720.JPG DSCN1723.JPG

10. Jake Sippl

Jake Sippl
    from Detroit MI

Update on the car. Motor is in the machine shop getting re done, should have a running car here by the middle to end of May. Super pumped, as I've been working hard on it whenever I've had the spare time. Can't wait for summer!

39 Aaron NZ likes this.
  11. geoford41

geoford41
    from Delaware

There is a 90 degree filter adapter that Ford offered for either a Bronco or even a 6 cylinde that can clear your frame and the filter will/should fit under your headers, I had one back in the 70's in my 302 powered '32 3 window.
    Ford Performance Parts Oil Filter Adapters M-6880-A50 (summit racing) call to confirm it fits your year engine (Ithink its about $89)

brEad likes this.
  12. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

When all else fails, grab a Gravely lawn mower / tractor oil filter... screws in a SBF, same diameter, only sticks out about 2"... maybe buy 2 or 3 of 'em for the season...
    My napa dealer didn't have flathead spark plugs... I asked for him to check lawnmower plugs...
    looked at me like I was the dumbest rodder in town... he had them, correct # and all...
    Needed a mower plug, always forgot to buy it, so I pulled a plug from my flattie, mowed the lawn, put the plug back in the rod...

jerseyboy, brEad and 39 Aaron NZ like this.
  13. Jake Sippl

Jake Sippl
    from Detroit MI

So after further review of the engine this is what we found:

Engine ended up being toast because once it was all torn down in the machine shop, the machinist found a hairline crack at the bottom of the block, which resulted in us not being able to use it. On the bright side, I managed to find a rebuilt 289, and swapped all the external accessories, (valve covers, etc) onto that motor. I just need to get the correct flex plate for the transmission and I'll be good to go! I have the engine in the car as we speak, and just need to do some wiring, to make sure everything is set up properly, and we should have a running car by the next couple of weeks! I'm so stoked
    new engine.jpg new engine2.jpg new engine3.jpg

Attached Files:

brEad, Tim and Aaron D. like this.
  14. Jake Sippl

Jake Sippl
    from Detroit MI

Just to give an update, the motor is wired, together and the car runs. However, I've wanted to fix the shifter for a long time, since it likes to slip gears when on the highway. We decided that while we were at it we'd just give the transmission an entire refresh. So that's almost together. Soon enough it'll be time for the first drive in almost a year. I'm so excited!

39 Aaron NZ and BenLeBlanc like this.
  15. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

memory says flex plates were 157 and 164 tooth, early C4's used the 157... the later C4's had a different bellhousing and used a 164....
    C6 + FMX = ?? ...
    AOD's used a 164...
    ford changed the torque converter inner shaft's spline ['72 ? ]...
    changed the flexplate counterweight ['75 ?]...20 G or 50 G...
    looking at the front of the tranny's bellhousing bolt pattern, they bolted the early tranny's starter a certain distance from the crank...
    the starter mounts using it's top bolt hole for both flexplates, the bottom bolt will slide further away from the crank with the bigger flexplate... that distance between the bottom starter bolt hole and dust shield panel mounting holes will tell you which bell you are looking at a swap meet... HIH...

16. Jake Sippl

Jake Sippl
    from Detroit MI

From research I've done, the C4 with the removable bellhousing is the one that requires the 157 tooth flexplate. The one with the fixed bellhousing is the one that requires the 164 tooth. If you have an engine after the early 80s, then you need to have the 50oz balancing weight.

My engine (the new one) is out of a 66 mustang (old one was out of a 66 Galaxie). So the engine is an old engine (rebuilt, but old), so I don't need the 50.

Either way, my bellhousing is removable, but it also is the smaller of the two, so I put a 157 tooth on.

17. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

sir, not being a pain as your motor to tranny stuff is all the same year... but just in case it helps another hamber.
    there are [2] C4's the early one uses the same bolts from inside the bell to anchor the tranny to the bell AND the pump to the tranny... 157 tooth...
    the newer has separate bolts for each task... is bigger, the outside edges flow into the tranny at a
    45*ish angle...164 tooth...
    the early one has a much sharper union between them, more of a 90*ish angle...
    C6 had the bell cast into the housing...

Jake Sippl likes this.
  18. Jake Sippl

Jake Sippl
    from Detroit MI

that's very good info sloppy jalopies! Thanks!

19. Jake Sippl

Jake Sippl
    from Detroit MI

Well, finally got it done. At 2:30am on the Thursday before the the biggest cruise night of the summer where I'm from (Woodward Cruise), I drove the car home. Granted I needed to tune the carb a bit the next day, but it ran sufficiently enough for me to take it home. I'm so glad it's done, and I'm even more glad we took the time to have the motor built correctly, instead of just throwing one together for the sake of getting the car running. Here are the pictures from the first day the car was back home, including pictures from myself and my dad taking the F100 and the coupe to the cruise night, the night before the event. IMAG1731.jpg IMAG1732.jpg IMAG1733.jpg IMAG1734.jpg IMAG1735.jpg IMAG1736.jpg IMAG1738.jpg

20. Jake Sippl

Jake Sippl
    from Detroit MI

I'm coming back to update the thread. I'll start with some pictures that I took at the end of the summer. 20171227_155424.png 20171219_094413.png 20171219_094435.png

norms30a, brEad, BenLeBlanc and 2 others like this.
  21. Jake Sippl

Jake Sippl
    from Detroit MI

I registered the coupe for the Detroit Autorama, so hopefully, all going well, I'll be able to show the car that weekend, and hang out with all you cool HAMB'ers. I have to totally re do the front end beforehand though. The tie rods have seen better days, and they are making the car drive like crap. Also need to go through the rear end, because its leaking. It's going to be an interesting couple of months! 20171227_160638.png

Tim and 39 Aaron NZ like this.
  22. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

the black and white pic rocks...

23. Jake Sippl

Jake Sippl
    from Detroit MI

Thanks! Sometimes I'm surprised how good my phone camera is!

24. Jake Sippl

Jake Sippl
    from Detroit MI

back when I got the motor done, around the time of the Woodward cruise, we also put a new shifter in, because the Lokar shifter that was in it wouldn't stop slipping out of gear. Went with a Gennie shifter. This thing is really nice, and it locks in gear, so there's no worry about hitting bumps and bouncing the shifter out of gear. Also, had to do some trimming of the floor a bit. I'll eventually make a panel that fits over everything. 20171227_191119[1].jpg

brEad likes this.
  25. Jake Sippl

Jake Sippl
    from Detroit MI

Got this Moon Eyes tach on black friday for a steal! Figured I'd throw it on the car. I like it!
    20171227_191022[1].jpg 20171227_191032[1].jpg

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
    captain scarlet likes this.
  26. Jake Sippl

Jake Sippl
    from Detroit MI

Also since the car is going in Autorama, I wanted to address some issues with the front end. When I first built it, the front end was the last thing that I put together and I admit, I was a bit too eager to get the car on the road. So I'm taking things apart to make sure that everything is in the shape I want it to be in, and making upgrades where I see fit.
    20171227_191201[1].jpg 20171227_191215[1].jpg 20171227_193820[1].jpg 20171227_194909[1].jpg 20171227_194759[1].jpg

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
    Texas36, captain scarlet and brEad like this.
  27. Jake Sippl

Jake Sippl
    from Detroit MI

I also fixed the trunk. The PO totally jerry rigged it together and used bolts that were the wrong size and some shady spacers made out of pieces of crudely cut steel, along with the bolts not being long enough to engage the nylock nut. Fixed that with proper sized washers and bolts and nuts. The trunk doesn't move up and down when I open it anymore. It pivots properly. You can see the before and after.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

GASSERBOB and brEad like this.
  28. Jake Sippl

Jake Sippl
    from Detroit MI

GASSERBOB likes this.
  29. Nice!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Jake Sippl likes this.
  30. Jake Sippl