Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Father/Son 63 Chevy C10 SWB Build Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by guthriesmith, Jan 2, 2020.

1. Bring him and the car, we'll put them side by side and get to work! I know I'm slow but those pieces for his truck are still laying on my side box :rolleyes: sometimes I feel like all I do is walk around this shop backwards all day long, then i wonder why I'm so far behind o_O tell him that whatever he does, you can't build an El Camino with a straight axle :D (all of my stuff should be here Wednesday;))

1Nimrod, drdave, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  2. Another night on it and a little more progress including welding up some holes and painting under where the rocker is fixing to cover. Hoping to finish all the welding including the rocker on this side tomorrow evening. We need to hang the door back on to make sure we get the rocker on straight, so that will also be a little motivating to see it with the primed door with the handle shaved and all the bodywork done. :cool:

FE4242C1-5EB6-4857-A2AA-B4CE6B3DB2B1.jpeg

3. Got side-tracked tonight running errands and working on the mower, but just went out to the shop to get at least one thing done. We hung the door back on so we can get the rocker in the right place. At least looks like progress bolting something on instead of taking more apart. :cool:

84ED9908-3392-42C7-A2FA-6E975C462440.jpeg

4. That's going to be a great looking truck!!

1Nimrod, just Matt, Thor1 and 3 others like this.
  5. Big mike 1968

Big mike 1968

Glad I found your build thread, Y'all are doing a great job. Makes me proud to see another generation being involved.

6. Thanks man. I appreciate it and this is more of a dream come true for me than anything. This son is pretty much ate up with this stuff even specific to the traditional stuff as we discuss here on the HAMB. Now, I just need to be able to keep him focused on the work piece instead of the instant gratification that our current world tries to display. I think he can get discouraged at times when what seems like some small task takes much longer than what he might see on some tv show... :rolleyes:

7. Lakeside65

Lakeside65

This was a good binge read! I can't wait to see the progress. I look forwarding to cruising with you guys in my 66 once they are both done. Hopefully by the spring HRH.

1Nimrod, Dan Hay, Thor1 and 1 other person like this.
  8. Okie Pete, 1Nimrod, drdave and 3 others like this.
  9. Shadow Creek

Shadow Creek

Been following the Edsel thread, how are the pickups coming along?

guthriesmith likes this.
  10. Well, they have pretty much just been sitting. Both boys got other cars and life has continued to happen, so no real progress.

Thor1, Bruce A Lyke and Sancho like this.
  11. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

^^^^^ Oh Man! I just came upon this thread and reviewed it all. Looked good while it lasted.

guthriesmith likes this.
  12. 6sally6

6sally6

Thank goodness for big garages!!
    I tink the percentages of teen boys actually finishing a pretty big restoration/mod of older cars OR trucks is really small. :( (mine couldn't) With women/sports/skool (in that order!) getting in the way.....car projects are left sitting.
    6sally6

Thor1, firstinsteele and guthriesmith like this.
  13. Shadow Creek

Shadow Creek

I can understand that, happens to a lot of us. Keep up the good work

guthriesmith and Thor1 like this.
  14. Cool truck. Chrome Steelers look great
    Hoping to be starting on a 65c10 soon.
    Picked up the cab from the scrap yard. Might use it on the sons 61
    I’d like to find a decent 60-62 hood. Those are my favorite.
    A2982AB1-7492-4085-80F7-9C9E2EACE6CA.jpeg C4299590-5B8A-4FEC-9F9F-881DADDDF73D.jpeg 9A6A5DF4-3442-4408-965B-4A3777FC1908.jpeg 4D5A30DC-2886-4F02-A671-27D31A9BD1E6.jpeg E9C41C38-6245-4BCA-8CA1-0E5006D0C7B4.jpeg B47869AC-317A-444A-B338-C11E6AE5F8E5.jpeg

15. Seen this pic online. Like the impala rear wheel opening
    63902B55-22CF-4F45-BDA7-63C39195348B.jpeg
    Tail lights and bumper is interesting

16. Just did the x-member swap on a 64. Super easy trucks to work on.
    The c10 I’m working the deal on is supposed to include a big window cab.
    I guess drum brake drop spindles are a no
    I’d like to do a 6/8 drop.
    Thanks for the spindle info, I plan on running 15s as well.
    Picked up a 3 speed OD trans.
    Might keep the 250 but I have a couple power pack 283s

guthriesmith, Thor1, bobss396 and 2 others like this.
  17. Came to look for this thread to grab a pic and figured while I am here, I could give an update as well. Seems motivation is back to get this thing done so hoping to make lots of progress over the winter. We have decided to go ahead and pull the cab so we can finish some detailing of the frame and make welding in the cab braces a little easier. Anyway, hope to start updating this again real soon. Thanks for the motivating pics and comments @anthony myrick!

1Nimrod, Okie Pete, Sancho and 4 others like this.
  18. I also think it is motivating Silas to get back to work on this since I now have a knee knocker pickup again as well...

IMG_5802[1].JPG

In other news, I ended up selling the 62 GMC parts truck that I documented pulling from the salvage earlier in this thread and Silas saw it driving into his vo-tech a couple weeks ago. Someone got it going and is obviously making faster progress than we are!

GMC.jpg

1Nimrod, SS327, Tim and 11 others like this.
  19. thats good motivation to get the butt in gear as well.

bchrismer, Thor1 and guthriesmith like this.
  20. Well...I guess this story comes to an end here. It was a somewhat emotional day for Silas as he decided to let his C10 go. It wasn’t as bad as it could have been since he was able to sell it back to my buddy that he bought it from, but still not easy to let it go when he had lots of dreams for it and because we had worked on it together. At least it went to a good home and someone else that had lots of memories with it. We will see what is up next since Silas just graduated high school and vo-tech last month and also just started a full time job as a welder at my workplace. I’m sure he will be ready for the next vehicle soon.

We bolted it back together enough to safely haul the parts but there is still a ton of work left to do for my buddy someday. Oh, and I guess I bought the wheels and tires and will likely run them on my GMC now since my buddy dropped off a disk brake 5-lug setup off a 71 C10 that he was scrapping earlier today. Seems I will be converting my GMC to 5-lug now...

5D85049C-AEB2-4C91-9824-EC263B825942.jpeg 82ADF9FF-EE70-4940-B88E-F2CE4C5309DB.jpeg

1Nimrod, Okie Pete, drdave and 14 others like this.
  21. It happens
    Chin up
    Live to build another day

I’m nearing a decision on which ones to help as well.

22. Yep, and you never know which direction each of us might pick in life. I figure once he gets settled into his new job and making money, he can decide what he wants to do. Might be cars, might not, but we all have to find our path in life. And, the reality of my buddy buying this back is that it could likely be bought back again if he ever changed his mind down the road. My buddy has several other projects that would come before this one. :rolleyes:

1Nimrod, Okie Pete, drdave and 6 others like this.
  23. Lakeside65

Lakeside65

Hate to see it go, but I sure understand the position he's in.

1Nimrod and guthriesmith like this.
  24. ...that's a neat project, no matter who owns it,...let us know what happens next.

25. Dustin 257

Dustin 257
    from Dallas

Best looking truck of all time. I’m sure it’ll come back around for him. 18 and starting life. Hahahaha what a fun time. Tell that boy to go
    Join the fire department.

26. 1Nimrod

1Nimrod

Not quite a year late but I finally came back to check on your Son's C10 Pickup build.
    I'm happy to see your Son is moving forward and will have a chance again someday to buy the C10 back if he chooses to.
    I bought another 63 C10 for my Grandson Bobcat, brought it home from Missouri and was excited thinking Bobcat would be ready and happy to start his own project, well in April 2022 my Mama past away and in September 2022 my Mother-in-law past away. My Son-in-law Dustin and I brought the 63 Red&White C10 home a few day's after the funeral in September, had Christmas at my youngest daughter's home and my Grandson Bobcat saw the 63 Red&White C10 and was really surprised to see it and asked lots of questions like "what are you going to do with this one Papa" I thought he was ready to have a Truck project of his own but School, Football, Wrestling and just wanting to be a teenager in High School was already to much, his cup was full, I'm very proud of Bobcat and his sister Gingersnap they both are holding all A's one B+ in 9th & 11th grade. Bobcat the oldest came to me and said "Papa I just don't have any time to start a project with you or my Dad" it was very hard for Bobcat to turn down the Red&White C10, he has helped me with my 63 Blue C10 since 2016, we have had lots of fun together working side by side for all those summers, once he became a freshman three years ago we have not been able to have time together like before, time with Grandchildren is very short lived and very precious to me. Bobcat showed me he's growing up by coming to me and telling me like it is, I'm very proud to see him stand up like a young man and tell me the truth...
    I still have the 63 Red&White C10, it was going to be his birthday gift back in 2023. We talk about his dreams and what he would do with the Blue C10 if it was his someday after High School and College, dreams are great and I pray someday his many dreams will come to be for Bobcat.
    Thank You Brother Guthrie for sharing this build story, I really enjoyed it, Bobcat sanded up the Push Bar you gave us and painted it up in primer and still has it in the Chicken Coop. Bobcat has a full time schedule with School, Sports, and part-time jobs every week, I can understand how your Son and You felt when the C10 went back home to your friend.
    Hang on to those special Father Son moments, they go buy way too quickly, don't they my friend.
    Bobcat is in my Avatar, that was the day we put the Grill into the Blue C10, his smile tells the story.
    I miss those warm summers working together with my Grandson already.
    God's Speed my friend, keep the Faith...

From Dustin
    (1Nimrod) 20220903_202440.jpg

27. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

The 59 is still available, if that's the direction he decides he would like to go.

28. Thanks guys and thanks for the update Dustin. I suppose this story is sort of continuing on now that Silas has the 61 GMC that I bought a while back. Here is the link to that one and hopefully we will start making progress soon on it.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/new-gmc-shop-truck-project.1278020/

As related to this thread, the engine that we built a few pages back and was slated for the 63 should be in the GMC soon. We kinda figure that makes more sense than trying to get the V6 going for what he wants.

Bruce A Lyke, Thor1, 1Nimrod and 2 others like this.
  29. 1Nimrod

1Nimrod

Thank you Guthrie for another Father Son Build C10/GMC.
    I will be reading that one soon.

God bless my friend.
    I like your name Dustin, I've had mine since 19?? a long time lol... Our name Dustin before it became a popular name, only other Dustin I knew was the Actor Dustin H, and my old pen pal when I was in 3rd grade, many moon's ago...

I guess I'm One of the very First
    (1st Generation) Dustin's lol...

guthriesmith likes this.