Register now to get rid of these ads!

Fastest you've ever been?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Drewid, Nov 26, 2004.

1. Kustom Chief

Kustom Chief

I went 135 on a Ninja. pretty much shit myself after slowing down. After that I was more into slow and low.

Larry

2. Mart

Mart

173mph -on the road - LEGALLY!
    2003 4.2 S-Type Jaguar. German autobahn. Disconnect the ABS and the 155mph speed restrictor stops working.
    Mart.

3. Gr8ballsofir

Gr8ballsofir

150mph steady for about a half hour in the passenger seat of a 72 Camaro on I-96 between Grand Rapids and Kzoo Michigan in the winter. Stoned.

4. 28rpu

28rpu

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm going to guess that almost 1/2 of these stories are true. But in the minds of the tellers there isn't a thing that isn't fact. Must be something about being 60 years old and racing for over 40 years that creates a small amount of doubt when hearing some tales. Carry on men.

Frank

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. My story. Steel 1926 model T street roadster, little small block chevy, Bonneville august 2004. 195.795mph.

5. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

Fastest was between 140-145 mph in my brother's '68 Charger when I was 16 years old. He was driving, I was scared shitless. LOL

Fastest in my own car was 130 mph in my 396-powered T-bucket. 6500 rpm, 3:08 gears. I let off when I noticed the windshield glass starting to bend in at the center.

6. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm going to guess that almost 1/2 of these stories are true. But in the minds of the tellers there isn't a thing that isn't fact. Must be something about being 60 years old and racing for over 40 years that creates a small amount of doubt when hearing some tales. Carry on men.

Frank

[/ QUOTE ]

The older we get the faster we were

7. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

This is a story as I was told it by "Steve" It was in Alaska. Anyone from Anchorage who has been around bikes and sleds knows Squeeks OConner. He was a salseman at Kawasaki when one of their fast bikes came out, mid 80s. He ask Steve if he wanted to take one out for a ride and run to Fairbanks for lunch. They opened the bikes up and ran mostly flat out to Fairbanks and back which is almost 350 miles one way. The almost 700 mile round trip took a little over 4 1/2 hours. Steve told me they hardly got below 150 and were running 160+ most of the way. If you knew Squeeks, you wouldn't doubt this a bit and he was over 50 at the time.

8. Kev Nemo

Kev Nemo

[ QUOTE ]
    i bought an ex-dallas police cruiser a few years back. 91 caprice with a throttle body 350. me and some buds were heading to the beer store on hwy 59 between carthage, and marshall, texas. the car had a "certified" digital speedo. shifted into overdrive at 121, and i let up at 162. the thing was riding on air. smooth as glass. and this was with 4 people and a dog.
    a few months later, i was headed back home from a party towards longview on hwy 124. we were doing 120 at about 4:00 in the morning when i came upon another car. we sucked him up quick, too quick. it was a ponola county sheriff. unbelieveably, he moved onto the shoulder and let us go by, he never even gave chase. i guess the antennas, dps wheels, and black tint fooled him. we laughed all the way home.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I've actually thought about buying one of those auction jobs just for that very reason! [​IMG]

9. KCsledz

KCsledz

I was 17 in my MAzda RX-4 115 before a rebuild on the 13B. After the rebuild I grounded my Dad for pushing it to 138. He still had a grand and a half before the redline of 9000 rpm. After a brief yelling match he backed it down to 80 for the rest of the trip. I don't think that I let him drive it for a month!

The 13B had a street port on the intake, exhaust sleves removed and ported and the stock carb had the manual and secondaries linked. It was an automatic but passing gear would take you from about 20mph to whenever you wanted to lift the pedal.

10. Dan Warner

Dan Warner
    from so cal

El Mirage 11/92 200.000
    Bonneville 08/04 233 last mile, 237 exit

11. 10 m.p.h. in a '66 Rivi... barrel 120 mph speedometer! [​IMG] 110 in a '62 LeMans, the bridges over Tampa Bay are autobahns.

12. Broman

Broman
    from an Island

The lamest high speed race? Me in a 4 cyl S-10 vs. my buddy in a 4 Cyl Toyota pu. I hit the rev limit at 108? (or so) he kept right on going....both trucks were brand spanking new. His was more powerful in every aspect and had more creature comforts.....Made me realize how much more he got for his money, no wonder people buy Japanese...... [​IMG]

Street racing in the 80's....if you were a teenager then you know the 5.0 'Stang was the shit......sometimes it's not how fast you went but who got there first... I used to borrow my uncle's 5.0 every weekend to go cruising...I 'recon it'd go about 135-140 tops.

Later on Chevy actually fought back and the F-bodies got faster. Dads Z-28 convertable would really sing at speed. The 'Stang bangers would get the jump off the line but you could chase 'em down at the top......I could actually cruise up next to the victim and slow to his speed for a good wave before putting the final squeez to 'em. Nothing like being a bad winner. [​IMG]

Cars are easy though. Any newer car handles speed well now - you feel perfectly safe. Kinda. But going fast on a bike, now that is cheating death.....

I've had my Sporty's speedo buried several times - it loves being wide open on the highway. But it isn't very fast,even with all of the Screamin' Eagle stuff I got on her.....

If you really want to experience speed get on a Japanese sport-bike. I have ridden everything from a lowly Yamaha 450 Special to a Ducati 906. Not that I am an expert or anything but for the grey-beards out there that have only gone fast in a streetcar - you have no idea what speed is. A sportbike can hit 60-70MPH in first gear and it only takes two ticks off the clock, then you have 5 more gears to go......

The feeling you get is like going over the top on a roller coaster - only the coaster has an engine and all of the traction you could care for. It's insane. In fact I can't understand how they can sell these bikes to mere children who are still learning to ride, it should be illegal. I think, and correct me if I am wrong here, but I believe that the "slow" bikes are the ones that can only do the quarter mile in 11.00 - 10.9x seconds....

It's like throwing a teenager into a dragster and saying - be careful.......

There is a guy who lives around here who bought one of those 200 MPH Suzuki Hyabusas and put aftermarket speed equipment on it!!!! Tell me he wasn't dropped on his head.

I chicken out on a bike at around 150. When you stick your head above the fairing at that speed the wind sounds like a jet airplane blasting right into your ears and the force of the blast torques your head back for a second, and when you get back below the engine bawls you out for being such a moron......

.....did I mention that Iowa doesn't have a helmet law? I rarely see anyone with a helmet, and I refuse to wear one as well. It's one of those things. You just don't think about until after the fact. When I ride my Harley I am usually just cruising, and to tell the truth, if I wore a brain bucket I'd be - well, a dork... On the other hand - if I wear going to actually OWN a soprtbike I might be inclined to buy the whole outfit, from head to toe - for sake of my health. there is a fine line between being safe and being free, I 'spose I choose whatever suits me at the time.....

13. gotcha

gotcha
    from Sanger, TX

134 in a 94 caprice squad car with light bar. Without the light bar it may do 140-145.

14. nice white knuckles!!! I was able to go over 150 in my 98 Z-28 6 speed. It hauled.

15. REJ

REJ
    from FLA

165mph in the 1/4 mile on a 1200 Kawasaki drag bike, turbo with nitrous in fifth gear only in 1993 at Gainesville dragstrip at the Prostar Nationals.

16. Flexicoker

Flexicoker

110 - '95 Camry
    going from 100 to 110 was like watching paint dry

I wanna hear how fast Ryan has gone [​IMG]

17. caffeine

caffeine
    from Central NJ

I got ya'all beat!!!!!!!! 109 in a Toyota Prius.....by the time I took the pic....I was doin 101 though. I have another pic of it saying 106 but cant find it anywhere..

hows that for an electric hybrid car that gets a bazillion miles to the gallon!!!

[​IMG]

18. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Little over a buck twenty in a Viper, again in a LS6 Firebird, and again in a new Corvette, all on the road. In a driving school, we got Neons to go 101mph down the back stretch at Moroso's road course. I hit 140 in the Viper, but another guy in my class hit 163 I think. The instructor hit over 180 on the stretch, and never went about 4,000 rpm. It's all about corner exit speeds!

My uncle has a time slip of a little over 201mph, at 6-something. What makes that one really special is that he was upside down and sliding backwards at the time. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    -Brad

19. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Just found out my wife also went 110mph in that Corvette on County Line Road. She also beat me in the slolom course at the driving school. So yeah, my wife is fast!
    -Brad

20. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The fastest I went in an old car was 130 in my 56 Chevy. The fastest I went in my BMW M3 was 276 km/h or 172,5 mph @7800 rpm on the Autobahn.I was having a race with a McLaren
    F1 and when he got the chance he passed by like I was parking....It´s very impressive to be screamed at by a 670 hp V12 @ 170mph [​IMG]

21. Sixcarb

Sixcarb
    from North NJ

182 on the banks of Daytona........oh that was on two wheels by the way, used to do supersport and superbike motorcycle racing.

22. My mom still has a radar ticket from the Cali Hwy Patrol for 164 on US 101 near the SF Airport. 1982 I was on my '49 Panhead.
    I was clocked @ 118 on the back straight of the mile track at San Jose in 1981 on a 750 Harley. Won my heat.
    And a couple of years ago I had my S-10 up to about 145 or so up by the KC Airport on I-29. Racin' an LS1 the guy shoulda won easy but he just backed off.
    You haven't lived until you've been past a buck and a quarter in an S-10. [​IMG]
    UH, don't do this at home kids.

23. Cword

Cword

Nice ride 28RPU

I've only made a C pass so far.

Attached Files:

24. hog mtn dave

hog mtn dave

Fastest 1/4 mile speed, 138 in a '32 3 window. Fastest on the street was last March in a rented Ferrari convertible with the top down. Discovered that all the engine heat gets sucked into the cockpit at speeds over 130. Chickened out between 165 and 170 on the road between Las Vegas and Parumph.

Drove on the autobahn a long time ago at about 130 and was passed by a Mercedes station wagon with 6 passengers, toting a bunch of skis and luggage on top going at least 150.

25. caddylakman

caddylakman
    from USA

Year 1994
    Car 1985 Ford Turbo Coupe
    Location, Route 20 Bypass, Elgin, Illinois
    Speed, 125mph

Year 1997
    Car, 1989 Buick Regal Custom w/ caddy 4.9 northstar
    Location, In between Greenville NC, and Raleigh NC
    Speed 135mph

Year 1997
    Car, 1989 Buick Regal Custom w/ caddy 4.9 and NOS
    Location, In between Greenville NC and Raleigh NC
    Speed 160 mph

Year 2003
    Car, 1960 Cadillac Sedan w/ nicely rebuilt 390 bored to 405
    Location, Somewhere in illinois (undisclosed due to recent events)
    Speed 120mph (rather scary w/ no seatbelts, airbags, and all 6 windows down. Thank goodness the radials didn't come off the rims)

26. loudpedal

loudpedal
    from SLC Utah

Back in the late 90’s I was racing my ‘67 camaro in the fastest street car shoot-out deal. I ran a 540 ci BBC, TH400 and a 9”. The car’s best ¼ was a 8.99 @ 154.32 mph at 4,700 feet. That’s on street tires and trough the mufflers. I don’t get into that much anymore. We are going to build a salt car and put this engine in it this winter. Should go pretty good…

27. 36couper

36couper
    from ontario

Maybe not the fastest but how about duration? In the mid seventies, me and 4 buddies loaded up my '69 Beaumont SD 396 for a trip from Windsor to Toronto (approx. 180 miles). With our case of beer (we were immortal) we drank and drove (idiots). For the whole trip I was never below 100mph and often had it up to 120mph. Had to stop for gas a couple of times though and pee breaks. We were young, stupid and horny as hell in anticipation of the strip joints in the big city.
    I'm glad my kids are more responsible than I was.

28. Cword

Cword

Dan's ride

Attached Files:

29. oldspeed

oldspeed
    from Upstate NY

In 1970 with a 68 427 corvette I hit 160 between Frankfort and Utica. In 2002 on a 98 Triumph T595 155 indicated. Last year 90 in my A and that was scary.

30. re49

re49

120+ in an enduro kart at Seattle Intrntl. Raceway.

Maybe 65 in a prewar MG-TA. Guess which was scarier?