Register now to get rid of these ads!

Fastest you've ever been?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Drewid, Nov 26, 2004.

1. Drewid

Drewid

I was just thinking about the fastest I have ever driven any car I have ever owned. I thought about my old '62 Biscuit, but the fastest I ever remember getting it was around 120-125. I thought about my brother Reece's '61 Impala and the same #'s come to mind. I do remember one fall evening when my buddy Gary and I were riding home after a high school football game in my '64 Polara. We were coming by the rock quarry when I opened it up. The 318 poly motor just kept on going; 115... 120... 125... 130... and then the needle was buried somewhere in the depths of the dash. The car at this high speed was riding smoother than it was at 65 mph. My adrenaline was pumping.

My moment of zen was interrupted when Gary mentioned "Dude, something smells like ass", followed by a howl, and "Holy shit my foot's on fire!"

Turns out the insane speed caused my heater core to 'splode, emptying at least a half a gallon of antifreeze on old Gary's foot.

The cost of a '64 Polara 4-door 318 car: $500
    Full tank of 89 octane: $20 (at the time)
    New heater core: 6-pack bribe to Reece
    Doing about 140: Minor burns on best friend's foot

Memories that last forever: Priceless

Note to readers: If you own a 63-65 MoPar, better coat the front with those ceramic space shuttle tiles, because they WILL be fast. (Just watch out for the heater core)

Now how fast have YOU gone???

2. Foul

Foul

120 in an Evo VIII and about 110 in a CTS-V.
    oh, and I once got my '78 Blazer up to 105. THAT one sent me in search of new undies.
    d

3. 32 ford roadster,,,,I-85,,,between Charlotte North Carolina and Greenville,South Carolina,,,,,,,,, HRP

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
  4. 1970 Challenger w/ a 383. 150 mph speedo. Stop pin on the guage was busted out and the needle was pointing straight down. No idea how fast that really was, but I do know that that car went 31 miles in exactly 14 minutes and 39 seconds. This includes one stop sign, and a set of railroad tracks. It averaged out over 2 miles per minute. My buddy sold it after a couple speeding tickets.... [​IMG]

lemondana likes this.

5. 115 in a friends Grand Prix, 105 in a Honda CRV, 95 in a Chevy pickup and 90 in a stock 57 Chevy convertible

6. JamesG

JamesG

My old 1996 Impala SS, 125 over the I-430 river bridge, comming home late one night(about 3:30am)from seeing my girlfriend....who is now my wife! I told her about it the other day while we were driving over that bridge, she was like "You did'nt get pulled over did you?" I said "No, not until the cop finnaly caught up with me."...... [​IMG]

7. Don't know exactly how fast we were going in my friend's 61 SS(350 hp 348),but we had just pulled ahead of this other guy's 61 406 Ford(originally a 390)on Route C-1 in Revere Mass and we were going into a long sweeping turn before the turnoff to the Revere Beach Parkway(about a half mile away)and we went over the concrete area where the underpass was(asphalt road)and all I remember is the difference in road height causing me to slam the top of my head against one of the convertible top bows hard enough that if I hadn't hit it my head probably would've gone through the roof of the car.Even with the sintered metal brakes,we still couldn't stop in time for the turnoff and wound up BACKING UP to turn off.By the way my friend Paul's nickname was,"Goof"and he earned it every day!

8. hillbillyhellcat

hillbillyhellcat

My friend had a 66 Dodge Monaco with a 383 with a lot of speed parts and airplane gears, I recall cruising at about 130 like we were going 65, of course that was out towards Ohio... It's hard to get an old car going too fast around here with hairpin curves and steep mountain grades, that is - without white knuckles.

9. hbhc,,,did ya notice the white knuckles in the photo,,,When I saw the picture it scared the crap outta me! [​IMG]HRP

10. 138 on a '87 Kawasaki 750 Ninja (and it was still pulling... hard).

105 in my '55 Chevy on I-40 during Americruise '97. My wife and daughter were asleep in the back seat. [​IMG]

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  11. Mojo

Mojo

Estimated 120-130 in a 79 malibu. Speedo only went to 85, but the car went waaaay past that. Would have gone faster I think, but the twisty interstates in WV wouldn't allow it... it would start to lift in the curves. That was with a mild 350, TH350 trans, and 2.43 rear. I miss that chevy...

12. williebill

williebill

almost all of my fast stories involve alcohol,sometimes in very large quantities.
    A buddy and i used to steal his dads Buick Riviera at night,and besides pushing over all the stop signs in town,and there were a helluva lot of them ,too,we pegged that speedo almost every time we stole it.think it was a 120 speedo,and it was still pulling long after the needle was hitting its stop.
    My old 65 fairlane,with matching bald recaps on the front,also pegged on a long smooth slight downhill near town.The sound of the botton end coming apart brought me back to my senses,as i realized that my front tires were going to kill me very soon if I didn't slow down.
    Fast enough on a bike to not be able to see,the air speed and the tears preventing me from opening my eyes very much.Usually wasn't able to walk very well after those rides either,might have,mind you,could have had something to do with being blind for other reasons,too.
    Answering my 10 year olds dare to see how fast my Caprice cop car,with it's "certified" speedo,would do a few years back.When we topped 110,he quickly asked me to slow down,and I never found out what it had,but that was probably most of it.
    That same fairlane,running in N/SA at our old outlaw strip,a little short at a little over 1000 feet,instead of 1320.The only thing shorter was the shut down area.
    OH WAIT,you said fast..That fairlane on the strip was like fucking intermission,you could get a hot dog and take a piss before I got to the end of the track.
    Them's were good days.that strip let you take passengers if you wanted..This was late 60s.
    Now I get tickets for going 50 in a 45.guess that's my payback...williebill

13. krooser

krooser

1958...coming back from Elkhart Lake, WI races...'55 Jaguar 140M roadster w/ top down...two lane Wisonsin Hwy 57...146 MPH on speedo...I was ten years old...my brother was driving...lost my hat...Told my Dad how fast we went when I lost it...brother got chased around the house with a cast iron frying pan..he never went fast with me in the car again!

14. crow

crow

146 on non street legal TZ250 when I was 16, or so said the arresting officer.

167 in a Comp Hydro drag boat, in 83 I think, on Town Lake right here in the middle of downtown Austin. Blew up on second pass though, first day of time trials. Bummer. Dad was miffed.

15. i was timed at 173.36 MPH in a 1964 corvette in 1982 at Brainard Internaional Speedway...i was scared to death , but i wouldn't back out

16. CRAP

CRAP

145 GTI VR6 indicated 160 on GSXR 600

17. CRAP

CRAP

[ QUOTE ]
    146 on non street legal TZ250 when I was 16, or so said the arresting officer.

167 in a Comp Hydro drag boat, in 83 I think, on Town Lake right here in the middle of downtown Austin. Blew up on second pass though, first day of time trials. Bummer. Dad was miffed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whats a TZ250?

18. TINGLER

TINGLER

I've had the Fairlane at 105 before. It has more....I don't. [​IMG]

My wife had it up around 90-100....SIDEWAYS (its a long story). I thought we were gonna die. She vowed never to do that again. We talk often about how the both of us are lucky to not have died that day.

I drove it 90mph today for a short stretch. 90 in that thing is an adrenaline rush and the car never sees speeds like that except on lonely STRAIGHT stretches.
    No matter how you look at it, speeding like that is really NOT a good idea. At 60mph, the Fairlane is probably unsafe.....

Don't take your lives into your own hands folks! That adrenaline rush is there for a REASON. 'cause its dangerous as hell....

Please be safe.

VT.

19. V.T.You are so right about the speed,,,,,I don't drive like that anymore,,,,,Think about what happened to Nads earlier this week when he lost his brakes,,,,,,If he was driving as fast as some of us clowns have,,,I don't think he would be having fun in Dayton now!HRP

20. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I did an average lap speed of 124.9 according to the stop watch on the "Dover Monster mile" NASCAR track so I guess about 130-135 in the straights?? Not too shabby for my first time on a speedway.

oh yeah....we had to turn left. [​IMG]

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  21. repoguy

repoguy

I've had my 911 up to 140 (so far. I've only had it 2 months. [​IMG] )

22. crow

crow

[ QUOTE ]
    Whats a TZ250?

[/ QUOTE ]

a Yammer road race bike. This 'un was an old hand me down. Air cooled two cylinder two stroke.

23. hollywud

hollywud

180 on a Kawasaki ZX11 limited edition,And It still had more,I Figured,HELL I made it to that speed ,the rest was easy,WRONG,Its harder to controll speed wobbles when youre slowing down.Needless to say ...I'll NEVER do that again!

24. DIRTYT

DIRTYT
    from Warren,MI

135-140 on my way to choprods place with fathack.we were in my engine hualer 92 civic with a motor swap and stand alone ecu. car threw a rod a month later. to many trips up to 7800rpm [​IMG]

got clocked at 162 in my buddys dads zo6 on I-69 near flint. we got off no ticket. he just told her how he just got home from iraq and wanted to test out daddys new toy. she said keep it a little slower next time solder haha. i was scared shitless but this buddy that was driving is a damn good driver but it was stupid cars come up on you very fast at 160.

the first time i ever broke 100 was in my 74 lemans when i was 17 i was up at my familys cabin near grayliing,MI and with no one on the road wanted to see what my little small block 2bbl could do. at 130 she ran out of steem. that was a scary ride with blown out shocks and springs the thing was bouncing all over. [​IMG]

the wifeys 02 jetta i got up to 145 and still no rev limiter. i have yet to see when it kicks in never had enough road that thing has some tall gears. guess it is autobahn inspired [​IMG]

im only 23 and im still dumb as a box of rocks and drive way to fast every day. 100mph is my cruising speed [​IMG]
    some day ill learn.

Bryan

25. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

[ QUOTE ]

Whats a TZ250?

[/ QUOTE ]

A Yamaha road racing bike, 2 cylinder 2 stroke, very cool...

A radar verified 168mph at the bottom of the "gravity cavity" at the old (pre-re-design) Road Atlanta aboard my old '82 Suzuki GS1000 Katana Race Bike. Scared the crap out of me because every time I went through there I got a front end shimmy, when I found out the radar reading I started backing off just a tad...

26. Jkustom

Jkustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just over 150 in a 83 jag, many times....

138 in my XR4Ti with a 300 lb. passenger.

Its a rare accation I dont brake 100 on the way to work everyday... I need to wake up earlier [​IMG]

For the record, all my speeding is done when there is very little or no traffic at all, on the highways when it is safe to do so... Im not THAT irresponsible

27. Paul Windshield

Paul Windshield

125 in my Dakota R/T north bound on I5 outta Nisqually. Had to lift cause of traffic.Some day I'll have the same problem in my Hotrod.
    Paul

28. gofast62

gofast62

z man when did you last run atlanta? i raced with wera for a bunch of years. ever ride a tz 700? oh yea goin fast, full tilt gsxr 1100, george bryce (star racing) head, pops yosh cams an rotating assy, 40mm mic flats, tall gears frog tires, pocono radar 176.4

29. About 170 in this thing.....

Attached Files:

30. Mr. Happy

Mr. Happy

1987 Iroc Players Challenge car.
    Burried the 160 mph speedo a few times on the highway.
    I don't do that crap anymore..... [​IMG]