Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Fastest hamb friendly street car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JimSibley, May 17, 2015.

1. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

A lot of nice cars, 4thhorseman and tricky steve, do you have build threads on your rides? They are bad a$$! Really good thread.

2. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think the best way to answer this question is show up in Joplin August 22 and see who is drinking Shinner-Bock out of THIS....

[​IMG]

Remember, you got to DRIVE them...

-Abone.

UNCLECHET likes this.
  3. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And, for those of us keeping score, the man currently holding the Cup is this cat:

[​IMG]

jho drove from Nebraska and abused the ever lovvin' shit out of the car all weekend. It doesn't get more HAMB friendly than that.

-Abone.

BLAKE, UNCLECHET and hiboy32 like this.
  4. tomcurnow

tomcurnow
    from Los Angles

Not sure, but my Bird is faster than my 2006 z06 Corvette which ran 11.70 more HP so who knows Iwindale tech said I had to have roll bar etc. built for sleeper fun, and sre works for tat

5. My buddies 63 dodge has gone 6.80 at 222mph. I have seen him drive it on the street through the mufflers. jim kilpatrick bad judgement racing waukesha wi.

Last edited: May 20, 2015
    milwscruffy likes this.
  6. hog mtn dave

hog mtn dave

I ran against Josh's coupe ( Can o' Worms) at Atlanta Dragway last summer. It was a low 10 sec run with a 2 second 60'. He was running me down at the big end. It'll go much faster if he can get it to leave in anger. No wheelie bars and a 4 speed. There's a fine balance to realize the full potential. MPH shows its a mid 9 second ride and its legal for that.

7. LOL I have out run lots of cars that were or are faster then mine, I actually overheard someone at the HAMB drags tell another guy to never stage with that guy and saw him point at the Pusher. LOL

Sometimes all it takes is to wing in in the staging lanes and a lack of traction to get a fast car to red light. ;)

I had a pretty fast '64 Chevelle once and got out run by an old fart in a Super Beetle. His was nothing special but the old guy just flat out drove me. :oops: "If" I had a fair to good '64 today I would have a fast one again. :D

And this one stays on top. Comeon fellas lets talk some trash.

It helps to have one with the chassis set up right. Something I have been preaching for longer then I have been on the HAMB, and was preached at me longer then that. ;)

Last edited: May 21, 2015
  8. 4thhorseman

4thhorseman
    from SW Desert

"Talk trash." I love it.
    I was always the timid guy with a ball cap pulled down over his eyes with the unassuming classic sleeper car that acted all humble at the street meets yet then surprised everyone swinging the big bat. This car is completely in the opposite direction for me. All obnoxious and "in your face." Best times of my life were listening to guys talk trash setting up races and then gloating or bitching about the results.

P&B is spot on. Chassis is 50% of the equation. All the power in world don't mean squat if it spins all redneck smoke show at the line.

Ok, here goes my best bragging...
    I can drive mine all over town, on the highway cruising along at 65mph. But at 10mpg it hurts the wallet in a hurry. Fat girl gotta eat. But it can do it no sweat. Literally. Lots of work went into sorting out keeping the engine temps under control both in traffic and cruising on the interstate. She'll do that and rip off low, low 9's all day at a regular type altitude drag strip with extremely minimal cooling time between rounds. All on legit pump gas. She'll be at the Hot Rod Rumble again this year October 10th for any takers.

And.... go.

9. tricky steve

tricky steve
    from fenton,mo.

AHHH .. the FASTEST !! AHHHH, there is another biggie..that is a big one. Maybe I should verify with GPS..
    Not sure of actual speed, but data log (coupe) showed >10,241 RPM's in second, and 8878 RPM's in high gear, 3.50:1 gears, 31" tall tires, pretty tight converter.. it was really, quiet, I think I may have gone back in time, I'm pretty sure I saw Elvis !! ~~!!! LOL. Scariest part, I got off the highway, went under the bridge, downloaded my data log file,and then went to get back on the highway (it was a very rural area, nobody around) and just as I began to merge back on the highway, a whole "flock" of deer (8-9 +/- deer, ** seemed like a thousand) came running across the highway right in front of me.. .. I think I may have pooped my pants a little :(. man, that would have been very ugly !!!
    I wish i was legal for Maxton mile, or silver state challenge, thing goes on the top end,,

My other car, (roadster) over 180 + easy. Now that I'm getting older, I don't get as crazy as I used to :eek::eek:
    it has 61% rear weight, it won 't spin the tires even if I spray it out of the hole.
    it is a 451" mopar, with a solid roller, brodix heads and a 8" converter. it makes 626 HP on the motor, and it has two 250 shot plates on it, I didn't spray it on the dyno, because all my bottles were MT at the time.. DOH !!!!. I've changed headlights to 32 ford, looks a lot better. I can't figure out how to load pictures on here , file too big ..WTF???This is (no bullshit) my first car, I started building it when I was 12 (no bullshit). it's been through several"updates" through the years, and I made it 80's ugly.. shit..started on it , in 1973, built the frame,suspension,and headers, everything.. (my dad was master fabricator, so he taught me, but made me do it) got it running in 1976, and drove it to Daytona Fla., and the sun sin and tin run in Las Vegas.. in 1976/77.. It gets driven !!
    They are having a fastest street car shoot out here (bonne terre Mo. drag strip) June 13th, it's been rained out twice, gonna hope for good weather this time !!
    This will be the first time it's been on a drag-strip, since 1977, Topeka!!
    HOLY SHIT I"M OLD!!!!!!!!

Picture 1063.jpg

10. tricky steve

tricky steve
    from fenton,mo.

low 9's?? holy shit batman, that's flying !!
    you going to melt down drags this year? if so, you driving it there?? how far is it??

11. 4thhorseman

4thhorseman
    from SW Desert

I would LOVE to. But no. I'm still a working man and my vacation time is used up with my wife and kids usually at a beach. The extent of my drag car trips are therefore limited to weekend getaways fairly close to home. When I go out to a strip I trailer my cars in an enclosed trailer. Tools, spare parts, generator for power tools & lights, shade from the desert sun, folding chairs... why not be comfortable right? Funny thing is I drive it farther out with pals at night on the weekends. But usually only make 1 pass then.

Low 9's is quick true but consider its a stroker big block on 7psi and a 150 shot in a 2400lb car with a working 1 purpose suspension. Kinda takes the magic away when you do the math.

BTW, you have some beautiful cars. I did 180 once in a pal's TT Supra. I'll never forget it. 140-150 is enough for me then its on the binders.

12. tricky steve

tricky steve
    from fenton,mo.

thanks man for the compliments!
    your car is BADASS !!!!

13. tricky steve

tricky steve
    from fenton,mo.

hi, no build threads, i am computer illiterate, can't even figure out how to put pics on here !! (file too big??)
    thanks for the kind words !

14. tricky steve

tricky steve
    from fenton,mo.

Oh yeah I forgot to mention.... IT DRIVES ME INSANE <WHEN SOMEONE HAS TO POINT OUT THE STARTING LINE TO THE DRIVER !!
    If anyone ever does that to me, i will be very tempted to back up,and run over them !!!:mad::mad::mad:

15. tricky steve

tricky steve
    from fenton,mo.

IMG_0313.JPG i think i finally did it ?? (re-size picture)

jadegrenade 51 likes this.
  16. Ya man...I know what ya mean...One nite (26 or 28 years ago) at the drags,first round,I'm runnin 11 flat with ole "SINISTER I" and I see my opponent (a chic inna Honda or some kinda foreign car) puts the rear tires in the water to try and do a burnout....I stage,tree comes down on here side,she takes off,about a half an hour later my side of the tree starts down and I can BARELY see her taillights! I launch "SINISTER I" as usual (1.50 60' in those days) and I got a head of steam up and blow by her at 120 mph to her I dunno,60 mph...about 1/16 of an inch PAST the finish line!!!! YEP she put the old coupe on the stretcher first round!!!! nobody gave me any guff.....much....

17. My Stude 51% weight on the rear with a 4-link,dynoed 500 ft lbs at 5200. I trap 123.88 at 6400 in 4th. I wonder what the top end would be out on the interstate (or somewhere safer) if I shifted to o.d. which is .64-1. Would the motor pull 5000 in o.d. I wonder... and WTF fer top end? 145?Just wondered yer thoughts...

18. tricky steve

tricky steve
    from fenton,mo.

my thoughts?? that car is BITCHIN' !!
    who knows, how fast it'll go, who cares.. it's awesome !!!!
    what gear you got in that thing ??

19. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Looking forward to seeing how quick Jason's coupe runs this year. He's always dicking with it for more power and I would assume he puts a good 10k on it a year pounding the streets

20. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Well...shift to 5th would drop rpm to alittle over 4k, 5k would be about 155mph...I think 145 is possible...Bonneville?:cool:

21. not Bonny...BACKROADS!!!! Hay Tricky...I'm sportin 4.88s in my Olds/Pontiac W/ 35 spliners anna spool... Torque fest 007.JPG Hitin the Streets 029.JPG In the eighties. This is my imitation of Stone Woods and Cook 004.JPG
    I only trap 6400 cuza gearing.The motor has a solid roller 271/280@ .050 so it makes horses till (so far) 7200 or so...I had the car (many moons ago with a genuine 1967 MO 302 and 3.08 gears when on the street track was 5.38s!)at what worked out on paper to 148 mph and it was getting VERY light!!!!

UNCLECHET and Lone Star Mopar like this.
  22. tricky steve

tricky steve
    from fenton,mo.

so cool :p:p

23. I dont really remember but it drops a lot so ya really gotta be haulin ass to even get it into O.D. 130 or so feels very fast in that old rod...but that was BEFORE I put Wilwoods all the way around and a new Brogerson steering box on it...

24. Thanks Tricky! I was admiring yer coupe at the Meltdown last....talk about TRIPLE FUCKIN THROWDOWN!!!! I love it!!! I only drive mine about 3000 miles a year cuz I hate wearin the motor out AND the gasoline about breaks me!!!! But...my grandkids love it!!!! HOTRODDESS! 005.JPG

25. Oh and thanks for the reply!

26. tricky steve

tricky steve
    from fenton,mo.

thanks man !!

27. i made a comment about my friends street driven 63 dodge a while back. he recently won a street outlaws race at the grove. nothing like a 6 sec street hemi

Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
    tricky steve and redlineracer42 like this.
  28. the 63 is in race trim on the video. it can be converted to street duty with a drop in radiator and mufflers.

belair and redlineracer42 like this.
  29. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

These should need to include hamb friendly engines too

I'll dust most of you guys pretty hard on backroads, but a basic l79 m22 with 3.73 gears aint gunna win in a 3300# car on the straights, but it sure makes a fun daily

30. squirrel

squirrel

Good luck getting anyone to agree on what that would be....

redlineracer42 likes this.