Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Fastener description, early Ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by theHIGHLANDER, Mar 18, 2018.

1. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't usually have trouble finding fasteners of different sorts but this one's a mess.

Where: top of the door on my 39 std Tudor, but it's the same for many years

What: what I normally call "frog legs" for trim panel retaining (which I can find the usuals).

Size: they're little door panel clips that hold the metal trim parts around the window at the top of the door. I have 1 or 2 but nothing is in the big Auveco book that size. Think of it as a mini frog leg. The panels are upholstered (covered) and there's a slot in the back to carry those little frog legs. So my question is what the hell to call them in order to do a proper search. "Trim Clips" or other generic descriptions give me a phone book of info on door panels, stainless trim clips, hood and grille trim clips, everything EXCEPT the mini frog leg needed to install the upper door panel trims. My guess is that ol Henry used a clip that was also used elsewhere or even on previous years like for outside stainless.

I know, right? Sometimes the simple stuff ends up being an unwanted rectal exam :eek:

Thanks in advance...

2. hotrod1948

hotrod1948
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Milton, WI

you might try Roy Nacewicz at 734-654-9450 or Restoration Specialties & Supply at 814-467-9842. Hope it helps

3. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

not sure but I will look thru my junk if it is the metal piece at top of door behind garnish.

4. Possibly 'cats claws' you are talking about?

5. IMG_1237.JPG
    Like this maybe

6. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

ditto:Restoration Specialties & Supply at 814-467-9842

7. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

X2. Restoration Specialties

8. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@olscrounger Yes, it's for those trim parts that go behind the garnish mldg. I have those, they're lovely, already upholstered, but they take a "mini frog leg" to install. Standard clips won't line up and might require a slightly larger hole.

@325w Those are the standard clips, "frog legs", like for full door panels in almost any car. Those I have, or I can get all I need.

I might have 1 left I could dig for and maybe post a pic of the 2 together. Can't help but thinking that they employed a trim clip for multiple use, but the clips on my outer trim stainless are too small. Maybe I could ask on fordbarn but I spend way more time here, and it might help the next guy too. Thanks again...

9. i have seen some that have a square[ish] top section that slides into a moulding. and the frog leg part is centered. is that the style? what's the measurement.

10. two couped up

two couped up
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from pa.

Bob Drake has them 91A-20020-b interior upper door window trim panels says 3 kits does 2 doors, but web site says out of stock.

11. No shit.:rolleyes:

12. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Have you thought about making them?
    I think some spring steel wire, a vise, a torch (propane should work) needle nose pliers and maybe some other stuff to form them.
    They would have to be shaped hot. Then heated bright and quenched in oil. Submerging them in a can or tin of oil then burning the oil in the can should temper them. Or you might try baking them at 475 for an hour. The oil fire does better for springs.
    You would have to use Spring steel wire as mild steel probably would not hold. It would just bend and not spring back.

13. I was thinking you may have been talking about #13 in the chart above, but now I think not.:rolleyes:

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  14. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

OK-take a look-here is an old over the door trim piece for a std coupe -it has 7 of these clips-they slide into a little slot--is this what you are looking for?? Let me know. I can remove if you need em

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
    lothiandon1940 likes this.