Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Fast Street/Strip Hot Rods

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by travj31, May 15, 2013.

1. i know there has to be some other ones out there..

2. 63comet

63comet

I've been watching Street Outlaws as a sick guilty pleasure. I don't think any of their rides are quite HAMB friendly but I gotta say I love Farmtruck.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

I ran the 1/4 mile for the first time this weekend at the Meltdown drags. I Drove 200 miles there, made 4 passes and drove back home. My best of 12.224 @ 112mph. I had to just ease off the line. My 60 ft was 1.9. If I tried leaving harder my 60 ft were 2.2 or worse and my ET's were high 12's. This was on Coker L78 bias plies. I was hoping to get into the 11's. It was extremelyhot out so I'm sure that didn't help much either. Maybe with slicks I could have got into the 11's, then again with slicks I'd risk breaking stuff too.

4. SLCK64

SLCK64

I think this is the definition for this thread

5. 27T

27T

I was impressed! what is the motor? besides blown SBC. and is it 4spd?

6. 27T

27T

got the best ET out of my Tbucket a couple weeks ago 13.63 @ 101mph, had some clutch and traction problems, got the traction problem solved and broke it.....

previous best was 14.37 @ 92mph, only took spark plug change to go 13's

7. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Thanks! Its actually just a mildly built 327 with a 471 blower with a single 750 Edlebrock AFB carb. There is really nothing in this motor thats newer technology. Its basically a HAMB friendly SBC. It has flat top forged TRW pistons, 461 heads with 2.02's. Stock rods and crank but with ARP studs and rod bolts. Its right at 9/1 compression. Mild blower/nitrous cam and roller tip rockers. It makes about 7-8 PSI of boost. I have a MSD BTM ignition box so I can run it on pump gas most of the time @ about 18*- 20* of total timing, and it still runs good. I can put some 110 or whatever race gas in it and turn the knob to give it about 32* of timing and she really wakes up. It has a Muncie M20 tranny with a 10 bolt and 3.42 gear. I drive it everywhere. I have easily put 5000 miles on it this year. Its just kind of my beater but right now its all I have running (I'm building a 40 coupe to be my nice car) But it sure is fun to drive. I have kind of recently got the drag racing bug and have run it a few times on the 1/8 it runs about 8 flat at mid 90's MPH. With 1.9-2.2 60 ft. times. I have also auto crossed it once too. That was a blast and it actually did pretty well there too.

8. bumpin the thread...

9. usmc50lx

usmc50lx
    from St.Louis

Here's a lil video of my car from the Meltdown...had a traction issue all weekend think my slicks are getting a little old.... <IFRAME height=315 src="//www.youtube.com/embed/LQ4H8L_E2bw" frameBorder=0 width=420 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>

10. 13 flat is a fast street. there is no 10 flat real street cars that can be drivin rain heat cold all the seasons. a guy in town has a hennisy camero twin turbo ly-1 six speed
    and its a high low 12 car but we are talking a 80.000$ car. thats not real.

11. pitman

pitman

Yep, and George still runs this one: Rode in this at the first Memphis Nats in '71. Too much! 427in Side-oiler motor.
    {From an old HAMB thread: 50's Hot Rods]
    "Ontario George Fitzios" and he still has it. It was grey way back then, but it's blue now (and has been for about 25 years. George has owned it for well over 30 years. I don't believe it was ever injected, and I've been a friend of George's for a long time, but it did have a wild tunnel ram on it that was home made by a guy in Michigan name of Fred Fleckinstien.
    <!-- / message --><!-- attachments -->

Attached Files:

12. Topstrap

Topstrap
    from East Ohio

No idea how fast it is or could be. No cage but with the soft big Sportsman Pro's it is all bite and no spin and feels pretty peppy. Maybe someday get a bar behind the seats with braces to the rear along the fuel cell and give it a couple trips down the 1/4.

Having a true 10 second street car is still really fast, especially for an older car. Calculations can say a certain combination will run a certain number but not sure how accurate that is. Still remember the old days with buddies and if they had an 11 second car on the track it was really fast on the street. Modern technology has made some fast cars but hard to beat old school cubic inches and raw torque.

[​IMG]

Not sure of weight but probably 2400lbs, 3:25 gears, 33" tires with the +.030 454 and Turbo 400. Not wild but no slouch, just a really fun driver. Really don't care what ET it might turn, the occasional pucker factor is good enough.

Topstrap

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  13. HotrodHans

HotrodHans

I've had my baby since 1971 so I've had plenty of time to play with it.

Would I call it a daily driver? Definitely not. No heat or AC but it rides quite comfortably.

9.63 @ 136 is my best. 6.02 @ 112 in the 1/8th. If I could ever catch a good tail wind it might go 9.50's... LOL.

93 octane Pump gas only, no additives or adders, small block Mopar, 408 CI. Big roller, 12.6-1 CR and a home brew still vacuum secondary Holley 6-PAK on a tunnel ram I made up sitting on top of some really nice Indy cylinder heads. 4 speed automatic OD with a 9", 5000 stall lockup converter by Hughes. They make a great product. If it wasn't for the high stall I probably would have a little trouble at that compression. 3.91 Gear. I change nothing between racing and cruising...not even the air in the tires.

Can I drive it to the track? Sure but when it's 80 to 100 miles away i feel more comfortable towing it in case something breaks. Plus it's usually hot and after a long day the air conditioned tow vehicle is an oasis. I'm too old to look cool... LOL. Been there, done that too many times. Nothing to prove.

I haven't been caught driving in the rain yet except for a drizzle once and that was fun with MT Drag Radials. They are useless no matter how easy you are on the gas.

It's not a good drifting car :eek:

14. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

he should get his money back

falcongeorge likes this.
  15. bad440

bad440

if they tell me they have a ten second car i add six seconds....lol

16. bad440

bad440

dont know how quick yet,but i did beat a suzuki 750 in a race.he never got past the rear bumper....73 dart 360 w2 727 rmvb 3800stall 456 8 3/4 200 shot nos Img_01454.jpeg

Img_01350.jpeg

Img_01374.jpeg

17. dan31

dan31

Back in high school in the 80s me and one other guy were running 12s in our mopars and no one (our age) could touch us .Kids these days do better in a Honda:eek: and some new cars will get you close to that stock.Running 12s in a model a street car still feels damn fast enough to me,and with style.

18. Cortney

Cortney

I agree with most of the numbers being said. In a older, carb fed car, 12's and 13's are pretty respectable in my eyes. Most kids these days just plug in a computer after slapping a turbo on it and BAM! Instant hot rod! Here in Colorado, EVERYONE has a frick'n turbo! Throw that turbo set up on your 13 sec old car and now your really moving! Take the turbo off the import car and what do you have? Bet it won't be anywhere close to 13's without dumping a ton of cash at it. Just my worthless $0.02

19. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

HAMB drags road trip. I drove it 400 miles each way, most of the time averaging 80+ (with no overdrive) and 3.42 gear and clicked off a best of 12.31 @110 on 6 inch wide bias ply wide whitewall street tires. This is pretty much an all hamb friendly engine the only really modern component is the MSD box. I could and will make some changes for next years Hamb drags but I'm confident just slicks and a gear change would get me mid 11's as it is.

20. AHotRod

AHotRod

Thanks for the ride!
    What E.T. did you run?

21. gary terhaar

gary terhaar
    from oakdale ny

Not a contender at all,I would step out and say a winner for sure.
    Real impressive this car walks the talk.

22. yruhot

yruhot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TlS0NDT-tc No time slip but a little video my kid put together of my 55 style gasser we put together. I hope this is the right video. at the end of the first run it went like 12.28 like 110 mph. 060.over 454 out of a 70 something surburban low compression. 1970ish old school closed chamber ls6 sq port heads, Comp cam. Weiand tunnelram,two carter 600 cfh carbs.456 gears,spool,9inch. moser axles,3000 stall tb400. light interior, roll bar,and a 125 hp shot of nitrous trying to get it into the 11's. missed it by a hair. Still drive the car to coffee and cars regularly on Sunday mornings, Would need a gear change to get up on the freeway for long jaunts but still licensee and insured. Has rolling windows. Won't bear and exotics but I have barely what a down payment on one of those and I get more thumbs up per mile. I love that car. People ask what color I'm going to paint it. I say Grey is a color.lol. When I was young I was into the latest musle cars and my mentor said that old cars would always be cool and in style, He was right.Still trying to hit the 11's maybe thif year.yruhot....Doug

23. My best friend back then had a '31 model A coupe that he drove all over. 301 sbc 4spd chopped channeled no hood or fenders, ran in the mid-lo 13's. Goal was 12's never made it.

24. Kamp

Kamp
    from Peoria, IL

Mine is a full out street car, drove it to work today and even took it up town to lunch. Made a few several hour trips in it. I do run full slicks at the track, and uncork the exhaust.
    289 Ford, T5, QC rear with a 4.30 gear (reason for the O.D. T5)

Went 12.90 in street trim, with a best of 12.19 @ 110 so far ... working on 11's next time, we'll see I guess.

[​IMG]

25. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well my all steel 31 Chopped Sedan's best run is 12.08 at 120 MPH. It is just running 8" Firestone pie crust cheater slicks and only has 3.50 gears. If I had 4.11s I know it would run in the 10s. Not sure how others are gauging if that is fast or not but I can tell you from the seat of my pants, 120 in the quarter feels damn fast in an 82 year old car!

Attached Files:

26. Kamp

Kamp
    from Peoria, IL

12.08 is pretty quick, especially with firestones. What are you running for an engine?

27. 63comet

63comet

I remember years ago one of the magazines did a shoot out between the IROC package Camaro and a real IROC race car. When would that have been? Mid-eighties?

The off the dealer's lot Camaro beat the race car in the quarter mile or eigth mile, whichever their drag race test was. Does that mean the racing teams should have all traded in for street cars?

28. dan31

dan31

29. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

120 through the traps could mean a high ten 1/4 with some traction. Go back and look at your 60 foot time, if it is higher than 1.6 toss those 'stones and get some real traction.

That is a pretty quick street car, whats under the hood??

-Abone.

30. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Something very un-HAMB like....! But it makes more than 550 hp and 545 ft/lbs. It does have a carb and Olds Rocket Batwing breather though!!!