Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Fast Street/Strip Hot Rods

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by travj31, May 15, 2013.

1. Some badass cars in this thread... Keep'em comin!

2. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

3. Larry T

Larry T

I always thought this was about as bad as it got for a "real" street car. Did they ever rebuild it?

[​IMG]

4. TinShed

TinShed

Thanks for doing all the work for me a proving my point, you can walk in and buy a 10 second car off the show floor today!!!! To me today's exotics are no more so than a hemi dart or boss 429.

12's and 11's are the norm but 10's are doable. And a few bolt on's on that new 5.0 mustang and you can run 10's with your new car with the a/c on and drive it to the track.

5. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

I always laugh at the 12.60 at 131 guys. The numbers don't even add up....

an 11 second car on the street is fast..... Fact is, once you start makin big power you cant hook it up. Tracks put adhesive down, it allows you to launch, or snap things.

Tryin to get the power to the pavement is the real trick. My high school O/T Camaro ran 8:10's at 168mph. I didi drive it on the street occasionaly. It would be lucky to turn a 10 if no track prep was done....

6. drofdar

drofdar
    from Fresno Ca

My 55 (avatar) all steel, 3300lbs, 454/oval port heads, Holley 850, 10:1 compression and 4:56 gears. Runs mid 11's @118mph. Pump premium for the street, and 110 leaded for the track with the addition of M/T slicks for a little grip! However, even though it does run on the street, it doesn't like it. I really wish I had put more compression in, with rectangle port heads, and more cam. I do think it could drop into the 10's, but it would be a track only car. Still not bad for a heavy Chevy!

7. ETs are cool comparison numbers but they can be like trophys, who really cares? :D

Go drive and have fun! A track car or a street car? Doesn't really matter to me, just go and relish the moment of man and his machine is the point. My O/T daily runs 12.90s with full exhaust out the back and 195/70-14s, it has been from Dallas to KC pulling my single axle trailer hauling treasure for my Hot Rods. I was counting the time slips in the glove box the other day and I had just over a hundred fom the ocasional trips to the track in the last 9 years. Not fast but always fun! I have realized over the years it is about the comadre of friends for me and helping each other with common goals. The guys who drive to the HAMB drags and run are exceptional and I love hearing thier stories no matter the speed. Have fun and be safe!

8. Originally posted as a question if you could have a fast car that has reliable driveability on the street!

Speed is relevant... the rods that were mentioned earlier by FlamedAbone and myself were driven for years on the street with a stock block, vintage speed parts and maybe a couple of newer doo dads that happened to be fast by street standards... anything else with exotic cubic inches and modern fuel systems is nothing more than a penis extension and are fine for the "Power tour" but not relevant to this board or this thread.

Look at the original post... and if your comments look as if you're bloviating... chances are you're missing the point and should be on the "Power Tour" website!

9. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Yea, sorry. I should know better.:rolleyes: Back to the dark ages. "offending" posts deleted...

Last edited: May 19, 2013
  10. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

funny.... u guys...

" Evidently Mr. Ringo's an educated man. Now I really hate him. "

oh oh the irony of this post....

laughing boy ........
    ba dea ba dea ba dea :cool:

11. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

sorry for mis leading post
    carry on
    9:50's bout 139mph ought a do it(idid)

:cool:

12. 61 chevy

61 chevy

my 61 impala will smoke one tire for 30 feet, does that count,

13. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

i think were on to something here...
    but alas it should be ET's & top end MPH

:cool:

14. A lot of folks are scared to run thier rods either because of mechanical failure or that thier machine is not fast enough, your choice for sure, but, untill you go to your local track on test and tune nite and at least run your daily driver ( you know you drive your driver hard, most of you commute and know about "hiway war" :D ) you have no idea the cheap thrill! Not being the fastest is not bad and enjoying the comadre of those around you is incrediable! Go have fun! :D

15. SmokinBill

SmokinBill

My little granny car had a six in it till it met me!!. the wife and I built a fun little street car that we take to the track now and then, but mostly street driven. it runs a consistant 13.01 @101 mph. 300hp sbc, muncie,10 bolt w/355,7"cheaters. If it was 1964/65 again, we would be right in the running.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. I think this is the real answer, it depends on way too much. You can do anything you want if you have enough money. There are a lot of "streetable" cars out there that runs 7's now. I think with the knowledge we have today, 12's can and are obtained without really putting out much effort. I think you have to be in the 9's to really be considered "fast", but if you've never been down the track and you hop in and click off a 12 second pass you will think you're flying.

You can build a 9 second hot rod that's still very streetable.

17. SmokinBill... Thats a great lookin little Nova you have there.

18. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I've never run 1/4 with mine, just 1/8 mile. It runs in the 7's at around 85-90 mph, and feels pretty quick to me.
    [​IMG]

19. SmokinBill, I just love your car, that is the answer to all within a sensible budget and HAMB constraints! Awesome! Good looking, I am envious...

20. I love this car

21. BAD A

BAD A

Here is my junk. Runs High 9s on 93 pump gas. 3.50 rear gear, 18 to 20 MPG. Will run 70 down the interstate all day long. It will set in 3 hour bumper to bumper Cruz-in traffic all day long. And never over heat.

Attached Files:

22. BAD A

BAD A

Another angle.

Attached Files:

23. What's the low down on what makes it go down ?

24. hotrodfords

hotrodfords

Fast new cars don't impress me. I got one, a 2007 Mustang GT with a Saleen 550 blower on it. It drives nice, can run in the Vegas heat with the a/c full on and not muss my wife's hair or overheat. Even gets 23mpg on the road, as it has for 50,000 carefree miles. But who cares? Any punk with a checkbook and a credit card can have the same...

What the modern cars lack is SOUL. They don't have it. Old handbuilt cars do.

But to answer the question, I'd say 12 second vintage cars are "fast".

25. uvebenfaulked

uvebenfaulked

not sure if ya'll will consider this relevant or not but just watched a 32 full fendered ford run 10.47 on "Pass Time". She weighed 2880 w/out driver and ran C16 race fuel. The participants didn't ask engine size - valve covers had 283 i.d. plates on them. 4.10 rear and t.h. 350 - i was pretty impressed...

26. wow... don't know what's more impressive, the times or the fact that it gets good gas mileage and doesn't have any driveability issues. I'd like to hear some more myself about it...

27. BAD A

BAD A

It is not you traditional rod. It has a 2008 LS7 Z06 motor, out of a wrecked Z06 vette. The motors are 505HP from the factory. The truck has stainless headers we built for it. An after market air filter, Flowmaster exhaust. with a 1800 stall. Drives great. The truck also has ladder bars on the rear with a fab 9 housing, and dual adjustable shocks. Up front has a pinto rack & pinion set up, with single adjustable shocks.

28. May not be "traditional" but those 427's can be wicked!

29. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

What I showed was that a 10 second car is not your typical showroom car. Now, if you're calling $70,000+ cars, the norm, then you're right. But even then, there's only a couple.

And the "add a few bolt ons" is crap. If you have to ADD something, it's not a stock, factory car. Shit, a KIA will do 10's, if you strap a jet engine into it.

And "all the work" is called, logging out of fantasy land and doing research. It helps a discussion, when there's more than "feelings" used to make a point.

30. I completely agree with your point. Nothing rolling off the assembly line is going to turn a 10 second e.t. Not a Mustang, Camaro, etc. And frankly, even if it did I wouldn't be impressed. If a performance vehicle costs 50 grand, it damn well better turn a fast time. For 50 grand you could build a streetable 7 second ride. For 50 grand you could build a dragster that'll put you well into the 6's.

The cars that really impress me are the ones going fast with knowledge and planning, not spending gobs of money.