Register now to get rid of these ads!

Fast & Furious Action

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Feb 1, 2011.

1. txtom

txtom

The cars were basically the same in those days; You had the "Board track" racers, as shown here, or the "Tether" cars, with the wire to a pole on a circular track. Dooling and McCoy were prominent manufacturer names.

My grandfather and Father raced board track racers on a track located in Dallas in the early 50's. Was just like the one in the film. He told me the location, of Northwest Highway and some other road; I'll ask him about it today.

Not much out there anymore; there are no board tracks, and only three circular tether car tracks in the U.S.--One each in California, Indiana, and New york.

Google "AMRCA", or 'Tether Car" for more information. But the current crop of these cars looks nothing like the midget bodies in the films.

The U.S. Record is 206 MPH for a car with a 10CC engine.

2. Tripple G

Tripple G

Hey Chris, Thanks for sharing the pics. You build some awesome stuff. Also like the thx138 in your H.A.M.B. name. Currently building a American Graffiti "Inspired" 5 window coupe, so I know a little something about those letters & numbers. Thanks again for sharing.

3. woodythx138

woodythx138

Thanks, ya I hacked the letters from the coupe , as it is my fav car and most don't know for sure were they have seen the tag before, anyway drop me a privit e-mail and I'll shoot some more pictures your way. Chris

Last edited: Feb 5, 2011
  4. txtom

txtom

In response to my post above about a board track in Dallas, Pops stated the track was located on the southwest corner of Loop 12(Northwest highway) and Preston Road.
    There was a drugstore and a grocery on the corner, and the track was located behind them.

5. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

damn, looks fun! A little pricey for me....