Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Farthest you drove for a maybe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by topher5150, Jul 11, 2020.

1. mike matters

mike matters

2. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2020-8-10_4-15-15.png Not the same one, but, similar in looks... Since this woody is in San Diego, it could be the same one.

Hello,

When we were 20 somethings, my wife and I would drive all over the place. Northern California, down into Baja California, all up and down the Pacific coastline. We were a little crazy, but wanted to see places we had never experienced. As long as we have been together, the decisions were always discussed and agreed upon before a major purchase like a car, house or boat came into the picture.

We thought that since we lived at the beach, the long coastal trips would be very cool in a woody wagon. The surfboards were getting smaller and it would fit inside of the woody for a lock/key security. We went to several car shows and plenty of hot rod gatherings to see if there were any available. Our money was saved and put aside for such a purchase. The OC area had its share of woody wagons, but the cost was relatively high compared to driving a bit to get a similar build to start our own changes.

How far? Hour and half to San Diego, 45 minutes to Pomona, 40 minutes to Santa Monica, were the main locations of advertised woody wagons. There were a couple advertised in Santa Cruz, CA, but that was a little too far, just to check it out. We could have waited until our next Northern California road trip for more photo shoots, but the time was now, so that was out. As 20 somethings, money was burning in our pockets and we had to get something.

So, down the I-5 in So Cal for a road trip to San Diego to buy a cool looking yellow 46 woody with a 283 and chrome wheels. That fit into our schedule, but, we had some “local” problems with the original owner. So, right up the I-5 freeway in Santa Ana was a small speed shop advertising a nice 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery with a 327.

Jnaki

It was a no brainer decision as a short hop up the freeway into South Santa Ana provided a nice, clean 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery. It had a 327, auto, Positraction, and A/C. It even had some louvers in the hood. The color was an orange red.
    upload_2020-8-10_4-16-26.png
    It was a nice looking hot rod and my wife instantly liked the power with the A/C blasting on our “around the block” test drive. It handled OK, on those industrial roads, but we told ourselves it was the road and not the car. (It ended up being the sedan delivery front end problems…brakes, alignment, balance, rims, tires and shocks...) It took a while to get the driving ability in place for a reliable daily driver. Thousands of miles later, it proved to be one of the most reliable hot rods we had owned.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...-fork-in-my-hand.1100106/page-2#post-12478390 46 Ford woody

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/what-was-your-best-mistake.1161897/page-2#post-13259332 Ford woody

Ron Funkhouser likes this.