Register now to get rid of these ads!

Farm Tech - HAMBer Christmas Tree

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by stan292, Mar 6, 2006.

1. stan292

stan292

Hey kids -

I know this doesn't really rate as a "tech" post - more of a "shop tip", but the tech week subject brought it to mind and caused me to dig this photo out. Not a big deal for sure, but maybe worth sharing here.

This is something my old man (who grew up on a farm) put together, and it's a damn handy deal - especially where space is at a premium. My garage is small, and I use this one all the time. Matter of fact, I need to make up a couple more.

If you live in the midwest - or anywhere near farm country for that matter, it's easy to pick up worn and discarded harrow discs like the ones on my "tree". They are very common at farm auctions - and come in several diameters. If you have friends or relatives who farm, you can likely get them for free (these were). Also, small town or rural salvage yards might be another source.

Anyway, a stand like this is plenty cheap to make, real sturdy, takes up very floor little space, is easy to move, and holds a ton of shit. Since the discs are dished, they're a great place to toss loose hardware - and its easy to sort through. I usually keep my power hand tools on the lower shelves. That way they aren't always laying around on the workbench.

Just food for thought. With a little imagination and I bet you can come up with a dozen cool uses for these discs.

P.S. The larger diameter discs make good bases for bench grinders and other tools and aren't as awkward as wheels.

Attached Files:

2. Kustm52

Kustm52

Cool idea... I've got some of those in one of my piles of junk. Now I've got a use for them! thanks....

Brian

3. ...those disc blades make good bases for jack stands, just weld a piece of pipe onto the center of one, slip another pipe that just fits inside that one, weld a 3/8 thick strap on top of the smaller pipe bent into a shallow "u" shape, drill several holes thru both (for adjustment) and slide a hardened bolt thru the holes to use. I've been usin mine that I got from a friend for 20+ years. Sorry no pics...

4. FOURTYDLX

FOURTYDLX