Register now to get rid of these ads!

FAQ/safety tips thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by porknbeaner, Jan 23, 2012.

1. The MSDs is a must have at the very least. I happened into a shop where a fellas kid had just swallowed some cleaning fluid and he was going to induce vomiting. The guy that owned the shop ran over with milk of magnesia and stopped him. Vomiting would have caused more damage than the solvent had already caused.

How about a blast cabinet to store paint and flammables? I am just as bead as the next guy about this one but paint and combustables should be stored in such a fasion as to keep the rest of the building safe if they do ignite. It doesn't need to be as stout as a safe but it shopuld be more than that wooden shelf in the back of the garage.

Here is one that no one has even touched on. How 'bout the proper tool for the job or not using a cheater? Guilty?me?

I busted off a 24" Rigid pipe wrench with a 6 foot cheaper once. I have twisted off swivel sockets using an adapter and a 24" breaker bar.

Here is a common one, using a chain tied around a coil spring when you are taking it out. Mash the bottom A arm with your foot and have someone pry it loose. Coil springs have a lot of stored energy in them. The chain isn't always your best friend when that sucker comes out.

2. I agree about the flammable storage cabinet, that is next on my list of additions. I have an oily rag can that seals tightly and I got rid of my old parts cleaner that used harsh solvents.

I bought a spring comressor years ago after watching a spring get away from one of the other mechanics in the shop.

Something else that scares me that most people may not have is the chains, clamps and hooks that go with our frame straightening machine. While I was in vo-tech (in high school) we were pulling on a quarter panel on one of those Ford cars that had square taillight housings (mid 60s) and broke a 5/8" eyebolt. Part of that bolt went thru the door to the tool room, thru the 3/8" plywood tools were hanging on and thru the cinder block wall behind it into the paint mixing room. I don't stand behind, over or under anything with tension applied.

3. Bottle racks or chains to hold them to something solid. I have never spent time on a submarine but I have seen a gas bottle do the torpedo thing. It can be as simple as a chain that attaches to the wall and goes around the bottle.

Something that goes without saying is to learn how to use a tool prior to trying it out. I saw a porta power shoved into a car door get away once because the fella wasn't sure how to use it.

4. Lucky3

Lucky3

I personally think this thread deserves a "sticky" ?

5. I read on here about the dangers of welding and the use of certain other equipment with a pacemaker. If someone wants to explain in detail, please do so.

6. I would be interested in that as well. who's got the scoop on that?

I think that pacemaker technology has come a long ways in the last few years but I can imagine that an electrical/magnetic field may cause a problem still.

7. davidbistolas

davidbistolas

EXHAUST WILL KILL YOU.

An good, old, friend of mine's brother died when he didn't notice the automatic garage door close while he was tuning his carb in the garage. Not a good way to go.

8. ONAROLL

ONAROLL
    from Oklahoma

It was mentioned, but, If your using the fiber cut off wheels in your air die grinder without the guard, you damn sure better watch it, if these little bastards are canted just a little during the cut, they will explode, if you are struck you are screwed....they dont just explode a little.

9. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

Use only Brake Clean that is (Chlorine Free) check the can. The chlorine when heated causes the Phosgene gas.

Ago

10. Clik

Clik

I wish the safety nazis would wise up and quit sensationalizing. They need to come up with a rating system to communicate risk. We all know we could possibly drop a claw hammer on our toe or some freak spark from a nail could get us in the eye but to require steel toes, safety glasses and gloves to hang a picture is crying wolf. It causes employees to scoff at safety and then when using something really dangerous they don't.

11. threeston

threeston

clean your shop up. I just spent the last few weeks cleaning my shop and organizing. I find that with organisation I know exactly where the safety gear is such as safety glasses. I also noticed that I wasn't tripping over stuff or kicking up piles of dust or standing on wires and air hoses and piles of crap/ tools all over the floor. I removed at least 6 big bags of old garbage. Replaced those old flickery fluorescent bulbs, its easier to work when its not a dark dungeon.

now when I go to do a task, I spend 30 seconds locating the gear, tools and supplies I need. Instead of 20 minutes looking for that one thing I need, give up and use a half ass approach which gives piss poor results.

Look around your shop. Look at the machinery and see those various maintenance tasks that should have been done years ago, and pick 2 a week to actually accomplish. we can maintain our cars, but rarely the tools and machinery get any love.

When more tools are scattered across the seven seas of never finished projects than in the tool box, you know you need to start the cleaning process. If you ever just bought a tool even though you know you already own the same one but cant find it quickly, its time. If you look around your shop and a feeling of dread comes over you instead of a zen like inspiration to do something productive, how can you expect to do awesome work?

An uncluttered space is naturally a safer and more pleasant place to work.

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was using a cheater pipe on a too short pipe wrench yesterday in the cellar trying to get my pipes to drain. My grandfather built this house and added plumbing about ten years later and he used what was available rather than have a plumber do it right and it is a pain to deal with.

I used to do front end work and never used a chain or cable that I remember. I only had a few springs bounce after they came out. A cable or chain looped though the spring isn't a bad idea though. I used to use two truck tire tire irons and those work the best for getting the springs out and back in.

13. Road Runner

Road Runner

This is the #1 point I use in the precautions section on page 1 of the manuals I write for the electrical products I make:

· Practice common sense

It's the most basic precaution, I have witnessed being overlooked over the years, mostly due to arrogance or redundant bravado.
    Interestingly those who project endless advice for everyone else, also lack great humility that comes naturally with true experience.

And this related point from a self-taught obsessive perfectionist:
    You get best results, if you only use as much energy, effort, material and the right tools, that accomplish the desired task.
    There is a pace, flow, a certain tension and focus to get things done the right way.
    If you go outside that balance you will be reminded at best and can get closer with your next attempt.

Also an at least moderately clean and organized workplace goes a long way in saftey and quality.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  14. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A guy I work with was welding a muffler on one of the old firetrucks. He was doing it over a floor grate. The mechanics in the shop had previously done a brake job and used the nasty brakleen. Soon after he made his first couple of tacks he started to cough uncontrollably....he rolled out from under the truck, he was dizzy and couldn't catch his breath....it was a while before we found out about the brakleen thing .

15. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Procedures are written in blood.

Regrettably, with that attitude you may unwittingly write the next chapter.

One dangerous thing I see is PVC pipe used as compressed air lines. They shatter when over-pressurized. I have been in fabrication shops all over the world and none use PVC for air lines, even in the third world. I know it's cheap and I am sure some have used it without a failure (yet), but be warned, you are gambling on that.

If you don't believe me...

http://www.osha.gov/dts/hib/hib_data/hib19880520.html

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  16. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Congratulations on the Star rating with VPP, that's great and not easy to get and keep.

Yep, and I'm sure you start work with a JSA (Job Safety Analysis) card, and that would not be a bad idea in the shop whenever you start a task. Take a look around and identify hazards and remove them before you start work. If it is something chronic or happens a lot, then a solution needs to be "engineered" like reorganizing your shop, etc. As was mentioned, housekeeping is vital to stay organized and work safe.

17. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

no cinder blocks in garage. they are not jackstands. clean shop,safe shop. common sense.

18. toddc

toddc

Cut off wheels are for cutting; Grinding wheels are for grinding! Ever seen one explode?
    Grinders are supplied with gaurds on them with good reason. I won't use a grinder with the guard removed.

19. toddc

toddc

I work in respiratory protection. My opinion is that there are far too many variables for an internet forum based list to adequately recommend a filter for all circumstances.
    Respirator companies have tech support people who are paid to know how to match equipment to situations. My advice would be to call them and explain what you are doing and then ask their opinion.

What I will say as applying to all respirators is; Keep them clean, and store them in an air tight container in a cool dark place.

20. MarkL

MarkL
    from Tacoma WA

Don't use PVC for air lines. I can and will burst eventually, and when it does it sounds like a bomb and sends shrapnel everywhere. I saw it happen at a dealership I worked at. Scared the shit out of everyone, luckily no one was hurt.

21. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

One of my real phobias. Lathe chuck keys need to be in your hand, or on a rack to hold it. Maybe laying in the chip pan. Never left in the chuck, not even for a second, never take your hand(s) off of it if it isn't in the rack. As a projectile they can cause mayhem.

22. sobpunx

sobpunx

I had a cut off wheel explode on me on a job site once a piece hit me in the leg and another broke a window across the street, my leg had a big ass bruise and the foreman wasent happy about replacing a widow of a business, you have to be care full with them.

23. Never mind what I previously posted.

No one is required to take advantage of what some of us have learned the hard way. If you see a practice here that you don't think is a good idea don't do it. On the other hand if you see one thing that helps you get to the point in your life that you can still see and have all your fingers and you are too old to use any of them the use of bandwidth has not gone to waste.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  24. Clik

Clik

What I was saying is that if I was OSHA I would come up with a rating system. Imagine a warning poster that lists various operations:

1. Driving a nail in wood with a claw hammer: Safety Glasses with half a skull.
    2. Using a air powered cut off wheel: Safety Shield, Gloves and ten skulls.
    3. Using a hand saw: Safety glasses and half a skull.
    4. Using hand sledge and chisle: Safety Glasses and two skulls.
    5. Welding: Shield and gloves with ten skulls.

25. Actually if you work for a reputable company it doesn't matter how safe or not safe a practice is. Follow proper procedure or you go to work someplace else.

Charging a battery releases hydrogen gas or a form there of. Pretty volatile stuff, a spark and kaboom.

Charging or jumping should be well ventilated but that is not always enough. A good idea to put the ground as far from th battery as possible and remove the ground first when you are disconnecting.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  26. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

I have mine for almost 4 years now and the Doc. only told me I can weld but don't lay on the cables and stay off the alternator/ gen. in a running engine.
    Other than that he said do as I always did.

27. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

1: Do not work with power tools when tired, on some medicine or ill because it will affect your judgement , perception.
    2: Do not rush your work for same reason as #1
    3: Do not take short cuts on safety, if eye glasses are not safety glasses, Dust mask is not a chemical respirator ect.
    4: Do not use a tool for this they were not designed to do.

28. billsill45

billsill45
    from SoCal

The short response to your comment is this: We live in a litigious society ... if someone gets hurt at your place of business, no matter how stupid or preventable the cause, there is a good chance that you will get sued. The more workplace safety rules and warnings in place, the more ammunition your lawyers will have when you have to defend yourself in court. One-size-fits-all safety rules may be overkill for some shops or tasks, but they are easier to enforce than having to negotiate a rule or procedure for each situation. Bought a ladder lately? There is almost not enough room for all of the warning labels.

It's a popular passtime to bash OSHA and MSHA for some of the nit-picky rules and uneven enforcement. In my early days, I worked in several industries with high accident statistics (railroad and sawmill) and some of the incidents that happened during my time would probably not have occurred if today's safety rules were in place. While I was working in the sawmill, I was standing about 5 feet from a guy who cut his hand almost completely off on a chop saw without a guard ... something I never want to see again. Because of that experience, I am a little more tolerant of "safety nazis".

Hats off to Pork 'n Beans for this thread. I picked up some good information and practices that either I was not aware of or careless about.

29. I like to watch threads like this one. There is a lot to glean from the experience of others. I have an OSHA 30 hour certificate that I earned a little at a time and aside from organized saftey I can assure everyone reading that there is a lot to be learned from what others have experienced. You can ask a saftey exec like El Caballo for instance and he can give you some real good advice or if you really want to know the trick to keeping safe find the most crippled up maimed guy in the shop. He knows first hand.

Just paying attention is a big part of staying safe.

30. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

Never weld naked