Register now to get rid of these ads!

fans, mech or elec? what do you run?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by classicdreamer, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

You mean LIKE THIS :D

[​IMG]

I dislike elecric GIZMOS and that is what a " added on " electric fan is to me. If you plan ahead and engineer your project ... a clutch type fan and a shroud can be built into about any project. BOTH of my 32 Fords run the above setup. Even with the smaller ( original size but Walker Z series ) radiator ... my 430 Horsepower engine run right on the thermostat and never overheats.

32's have a considerable smaller radiator than most of the projects here on the HAMB :)

1940 Fords have reputation of being difficult to cool but a good mechanical 7 blade fan ... kept mine running right on the thermostat :D

[​IMG]

2. classicdreamer

classicdreamer
    from nyc
    1. A-D Truckers

what is the best clutch fan to get. Brand? I have still not decided on what size rad to use, but definately getting an alum. radiator. How about fan blade? I know some like OE, most hate Flexlite. Other brands?

3. Mr poopy pants

Mr poopy pants

4. That deuce set up looks so right.

5. Mr poopy pants

Mr poopy pants

6. Mr poopy pants

Mr poopy pants

56 uses a 4 blade mechanical on the original 235 with stock Rad......works fine!

7. I like a mechanical fans,but I screwed up when I welded my motor mounts in and didn't leave enough room for one.(FNG's)-So I ended up with an electric pusher on the front.I have a small block chevy and the rad is a walker for a big block.180 thermostat with a 190 fan -never had a problem running hot.I don't have a problem with fan noise-I drown it out with a gear drive.It's a fat fender so you can't see it either.

8. For simplistic sake I run a Permacool 17in Electric fan. It spins 2950 RPM when I am at idle. About 3 times faster than a mechanical. It is a metal bladed fan. I turn it off when I am driving on the road. I have the same fan on my Roadster, My Fairlane and my Falcon. Nooooooooooo overheating problems but this fan is not cheap !!!!