Register now to get rid of these ads!

Fan to radiator clearance???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by C. Montgomery, Feb 25, 2005.

1. C. Montgomery

C. Montgomery

I've always thought that the closer to the radiator the better. But, how close is too close? I put a 302 in my 49 ford, and spaced the radiator forward an inch like the kit said, but it's still within an inch or so from the front of the fan to the radiator..Too close?

2. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

They used to say mim 3/4" clearance. Don't know who "they" was, or if that still holds true, but its what I use. Gene

3. i was always told no more than an inch without a shroud.

4. C. Montgomery

C. Montgomery

cool. sounds like I'm ok then....

5. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

3/4" is usually sufficient, but 1/2" can be too close if there is any flex in the fan or the engine moves in the mounts at all. there is nothing that will replace a well designed and well built shroud. The fan can be back from the core it you use a good shroud. By good shroud I mean one that flares out from the fan to include most of the core area and the fan is at least 1/2 the pitch of the fan into the shroud.
    Another tip is to check on getting a fan blade for an air conditioned application. these blades usually have 1 or2 extra blades and the pitch is greater than a standard fan.

Frank

6. C. Montgomery

C. Montgomery

Thanks for all the help!!!