Register now to get rid of these ads!

Fan shroud or move the radiator?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gas Giant, Nov 3, 2009.

1. Gas Giant

Gas Giant

Well, finally got the headers installed on the 56 Chevy, onto the next issue.

My Bel Air started life as an 235, but unfortunately that engine was trashed long before I got to the car. (seized up). I swapped in a 283 and an old Muncie 4 speed I had. I haven't run the engine yet, but that day is getting closer.

However, I think I am going to have a problem with the fan/radiator. The radiator support is still for the 6 cyl setup, so the radiator is on the forward side of the support. This leaves quite a gap between the fan and the radiator, even with the biggest fan spacer I can find at auto parts stores. I'm worried about the car overheating due to such a large gap; I've always been told that without a fan shroud, the fan should be 3/4" to 1" from the radiator. Mine is a lot further than that, and this car needs to be able to sit in traffic in Florida.

I'm trying to keep this car as traditional as I can afford to, so what would the best solution be? Obviously electric fans are out. So, I was thinking about either swapping in a V8 support (If I can find one in my budget) or throwing in a fan shroud out of a late 50's car or maybe one of the aluminum ones the resto companies have.

Any suggestions from HAMB-land? Not sure if a fan shroud would look right, but I may have to give a little for the sake of functionality.

2. Over the years a lot of 6 cylinder cars got V-8s. That's hot rodding.

Your cheapest solition would be to move the radiator closer to the motor.

Try the backside of the core support then maybe a spacer or two. Throw some sheetmetal or rubber between the radiator and the core support so the air cannot go around the radiator.

Donot use a fan spacer longer than 3". You can ditch the short pump and go ot the long pump. That will net you an inch or so. But you'll have to invest in pulleys which won't be cheap unless you have a donor motor and it won't look very period to anyone who knows.

3. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

I'd say you should prbably do both...

4. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Porknbeaner has it, that is the easiest way to go.
    Next up would be a shroud, there was a tech on making one from a rubbish bin a while ago, but why go to those lengths if there is no need?
    Doc.

5. oj

oj

Do what chevy did, put the radiator in the V8 position with a shroud. Lost of places sell everything you need for a boltin job.

6. I think you can pull the core support and drill the spot welds so you can reverse the radiator hoop. This will give you the mounts in the right place, but I'm recalling running my '55 for years with the radiator in the six position and a flex fan with about a 3" spacer. Never had a heating problem and I live in a hot ass place, too. The motors I ran were all small blocks with a Muncie and no A/C, also various gears, one time as low as 5.57:1!!!!

I must add that my buddy had Arctic Radiator in Texas City back then, and he built me one with a nice thick copper & brass core.

7. Gas Giant

Gas Giant

Alright, sounds like moving the radiator is the way to go. Although, Unclee, you have encouraged me to fire it up as-is and see if there is actually a cooling problem first.

Thanks to all who replied!

8. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

As said, you need to move the radiator.
    There are brackets available that put the radiator in the V8 position with a 6-cylinder core support. I don't like the way they look, but I dislike a trail of green coolant pissed out on the ground even worse.
    Follow that up with an aluminum shroud, painted black, and it'll all look fine.

Or, you could do the right thing and swap in a big block, since the radiator is currently in the correct location!

-Brad