Register now to get rid of these ads!

Fan balancing

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 59Apachegail, Jul 21, 2016.

1. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

Anyone ever get an original mechanical fan straightened/balanced? If so any recommendations? I don't want to go aftermarket unless I have to. I definitely won't try it on my own.

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

so, what motor are you working on? replace it with another original correct one? add pics

3. I've never heard of balancing a fan. Look at Summit, they have some real nice steel stock car type fans, well under $40. The one in my Ford is one that I had in a stock car, no frills 7-blade Mopar out of the junkyard around in 1982.

need louvers ? likes this.
  4. Andy

Andy

I made a rig to balance a flathead fan. I welded a disk on the end of a 3/4 bar and machined it all over to accept the fan hub. I drilled and tapped the mounting holes. I found that the fan was OK and the gen shaft was bent. The rig seemed to work fine. I would like to put a pully on the shaft and run it up, The other idea is to turn the shaft down on the end and run it with a drill. Pics if anyone is interested.
    The bearings are the ones used for steering columns and they are in a piece of 1.5 tubing.

5. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

Thanks all

I am working on a 283, I recently learned that my fan was buried too deep into the fan shroud. I pulled out a 2-1/2" spacer off the water pump. If I flush mount the fan on the water pump I'll be half in half out like I am supposed to be. I figured since I was in there I might as well upgrade to the 4 blade to 5.

I don't want an electric fan. I would consider a new old style one. I just figured I'd try to get the five blade fixed to stay as original as possible.

I have pics but getting a picture posting error at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. Years back I had a chev fan that seemed to be out of balance and I put it on one of those mower blade balancers and would file the blade that seemed to be heavy until it set perfect on the balancer. Then I made a shaft to mount it on and put my drill in a vise and ran the fan. Had to tweek a couple blades a few time to get it to run true, but it worked out. I ran that fan for over 54K miles on a 327 and still have it.

7. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

I've heard of and witnessed...When your four-bladed Model A banger fan throws a blade into the hood, you take the opposing blade and bend it back and forth until it breaks off. Now, you're back to two blades-balanced, and back on the road.

8. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

This lawn mower blade balancer works well.

[​IMG]