Register now to get rid of these ads!

Family Photo Album

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Aug 1, 2016.

1. Cheeta

Cheeta

1st 40 1967.jpg
    My 1st 40. 1967 at 15 years old.

2. buford36

buford36
    from Maine

3. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2020-1-2_3-44-53.png 1938 36 Dodge sedan
    Hello,

In 1966, when I first saw my wife walking down the hallway at our local, Long Beach State College, I knew there was a connection. I did not know it then, but something just hit. Sure…life long friend, companion, forever boy/girlfriend, road trip sidekick, and just someone to sit around/hang out was pleasurable enough. But all of these years later scouring our old family photo albums to scan into our external solid state hard drives for safe keeping, something did pop up that no one would have seen back then.

My dad’s first real car after his college days was a 1936 Dodge Sedan. He used it to go all over So Cal on his baseball playing career, until he could figure out what, when, and where he was going to settle down. He never told us about his first car, the 36 Dodge. But, last year, up popped up a very old photo of him smiling and standing next to his first car. (9 Buick sedans since that first car)

My wife’s dad was a family guy with roots in Oklahoma. His family goes back many generations in that state. The relatives all lived (or live…only two left) in several cities, but all centered in the general OKC and Norman areas. We had old photos of a 47 Buick Convertible, a 55 Chevy sedan, a 1950 Chevy two door sedan and what looks like a 37 Chevy Coupe. But, uncovering a recent family photo album revealed a new car that was never seen until now.

We have family photos of other cars used during that early period in OKC and Norman, but until recently, no photos or mention of this 1936 Plymouth Sedan for the whole family. (at the time, my wife was the only child and two years old.)
    upload_2020-1-2_3-47-0.png 1947 1936 Plymouth sedan
    Jnaki

The interesting thing in one photo was a tall water tower in the background. So Cal does not have these in the areas that we grew up, but are prevalent all over the Midwest. It is also funny that there is no one left in the family, that knows anything about the 36 Plymouth Sedan and how it fit into the family experiences.
    upload_2020-1-2_3-50-46.png
    So, was it fate that brought us together? Or, an auto factory similarity of family sedans that started the whole “car” thing, and attracted us back then? Nah…she just was a great person that made getting to know each other, all the better, during our early get-togethers! (and these 50 plus years of adventures in hot rods and not.)

4. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

That last one is a pretty "arty" shot. Light dark, curved lines-straight lines, roof line hood lines, hiding water tank.

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  5. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2020-1-2_16-34-46.png
    Hey 6,
    Thank you for the nice comments, but I cannot take credit for that arty shot. It was a second shot in the old family photo album that I recently found. I am not sure what type of camera was used in 1947. My wife was two and has no idea about the camera or the car. I even colorized it with modern technology and it still did not show the actual color of the car correctly.
    upload_2020-1-2_16-29-57.png

Jnaki
    The white siding house in the background is also a mystery. Her mom is in the photo, but she is gone now and no one else in the family knows anything about the mysterious photo. The exception was that it was taken in OKC or Norman, OK. So, the research continues...

Bowtie Coupe, Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  6. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I have our family album that I promised to return to my sister in law before Christmas 6 or 7 years ago. When I was a kid I used to look through it and my mom and dad would tell me all about the people and places. I'm the only one now who has a clue about who is in the pictures and I don't remember who a lot of them are. It's OK I guess because no one else really cares. These were pioneers, real cowboys, ranchers, farmers, homesteaders in Texas and Oklahoma. Oh well I still remember some of them.

7. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2020-1-19_3-47-38.png
    1947 SUMMER NORMAN, OKLAHOMA GREAT GRANDPA’S HOUSE

Hello,

My wife’s family origins were from the OKC area, in and around Norman, as well as in the downtown area. On one of our long road trips to a back East planned destination, we stopped in Oklahoma City for several days. We wanted to find the places where my wife was born and grew up. Her dad was a wanderer and his different jobs took the whole family back and forth from the OKC area to the So Cal’s West Coast and after a year or so, it was back to the OKC area and family ties.

We have found several family photo albums over the years and have documented and saved them digitally. The latest photo (last week) was found in my wife’s, sister’s collection of family photos in one of many boxes in her garage. The sister has albums stored in the house closet areas, but these were the “extras” still in boxes, out in her two car garage. It was of their great grandfather who taught at the University of Oklahoma back in those early days. The big old brick house was a place to go during the summers and my wife remembers those times well. (It was, pre-little sister and brother days.) She had grandpa and grandma all to herself.
    upload_2020-1-19_3-48-28.png
    This roadster was found in one of the early albums. It was documented as great grandpa’s (wife’s mother’s side) roadster he drove in his younger days.

My wife and I took a journey to OKC several years ago. During those days of searching for the familiar houses was difficult. We covered 11 square blocks and found the elementary school and what we thought was the immediate family’s brick home. But, the other photos did nothing for our search. Times and remodeling have changed the landscape as well as homes. We gave up driving down to Norman, as the OKC search was a little disheartening. Plus, the road traveling eastward and the final East Coast shoreline, beckoned. (The total planned road trip was short lived in the next three hours of driving East.)

Jnaki

On our next planned visit Eastward, we will now have various addresses scribbled on a notebook paper that popped out of one of those (newly found) ancient photo albums. So, that will give us a directed start to relive history, from those very early days in OKC and Norman, OK. One of the addresses is on Ponca Ave. and is close to the University of Oklahoma.

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  8. Finn Jensen

Finn Jensen

Jnaki, you might want to explore using this website which can provide an overlay of historic aerial photos by year at selected addresses. The overlays show changes year-over-year.

https://www.historicaerials.com/aerials.php?op=home