Register now to get rid of these ads!

Falling in love again....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by C9, Oct 6, 2003.

1. .... well, lust anyway.

I really like this little roadster.
    Pics shot last Saturday at the CHRR.

I hope mine comes out close to as good looking as this one is.

Attached Files:

2. i think magoo built that car

3. Referring to the above pic, it looks like it's running 7-8" wheels.
    I like the tire size as well.
    Shoulda taken a look to see just what size it was.

This interior shows a tonneau.
    Haven't seen one of these in a long while.
    The car does have the snaps etc. to run the other half over the drivers side.

The half tonneau on the passenger side helps a lot as far as drafts go in these little rolling air leaks.

Attached Files:

4. The roadster has lots of interesting little touches.
    Like the water bottle holder for instance.
    A nice touch when two are traveling together.

Note in this pic some of the things done so as to run the transverse rear spring.
    Especially so the "lowering" block which is a "riser" block in this case.
    Note too, the spring is retained by bolts screwed into threaded weld bungs.

There's other things, but I'll leave it to you to find them.

Attached Files:

5. My younger daughter and I hit the CHRR on Saturday.
    The Pinky cover girl was rumored to be there, but we missed her.

Anyway, we had a good time and the funniest thing that happened was in the fueler pits.

Daughter and I were standing about a hundred feet from a fueler up on jackstands with engine running, crew setting up the idle etc.
    I had about a half cup of beer and daughter had just a little left in hers.

So we were standing there, listening to the good whappita - whappita - whappita sounds and the guy zinged the throttle.

Scared hell out of daughter and she threw the remainder of her beer all over me.

She was so embarrassed, but it was so funny I didn't care.
    She should have known better, she's been at the races before.

Just another beer baptism I guess....

6. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

My computer pic is not very sharp, but it looks like he's built a central pivot for the rear radius rods to act like a torque tube with no binding/bending in the suspension.

7. 50Fraud

50Fraud

To C9's post: at Half Moon Bay a few years back, I saw a twin-SBC rail up on stands, idling, under a popup canopy. The exhausts pointed straight up. When they whacked the throttles, the tent would jump off the ground! Pretty funny.

8. Chuck R

Chuck R

This is an early Magoo car. The Ladder bars converge to a single very large hiem joint on the trnny mount. This was the way Magoo did many of his cars. As usual fit and finish are fantastic.I have seen this car for a while in the mid California area. It was for sale but I guess it is going to stay put with it's owner.
    chuck

9. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Years ago I was going to use that rear arrangement on a '32 pickup I had. I called Magoo and talked to him about it. He used a 1" heim mounted behind a crossmember loop which acted as a trans mount. There was a tube welded into the crossmember and a 1" fine thread bolt went through the tube and secured the heim. The two traction (ladder) bars mounted on each side of the pivot ball secured by a thru bolt. The ball allowed the rearend to pivot just like Henry's torque tube ball did on the back of the old 3spd trans. This was the forrunner of Pete and Jakes center mounted ladder bars that are used to this day.

Frank

10. hemi

hemi

[ QUOTE ]
    My younger daughter and I hit the CHRR on Saturday.
    The Pinky cover girl was rumored to be there, but we missed her.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, she WAS there, but she was very easy to overlook. Our booth was almost directly across from the Hanna car. [​IMG]
    Between that beautiful piece of machinery, and Cole's bike parked next to it on Sunday, half the crowd walked by looking the other way in awe.

It was excellent scenery for us to look at while stuck in the "cage" though.

A little side note on my weekend:
    Mike Bishop's old car was parked out in the grove and every time I went to look at it, I ended up in conversation with total strangers....I met some very nice people because of that car this weekend!