Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Falcons done right?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by guiseart, Nov 20, 2005.

1. In my opinion, I'm afraid that Falcons are a little too modern to be a Gasser. Most Gassers weren't born from new cars 90% of the time, so by the time the Falcon's were old enough(read cheap enough), the good racers had the suspension/traction issues sorted out and started using the suspension instead of the stance for weight transfer. I know, I know a few Falcons and chevy IIs were still built in the old gasser style, but by the time they were old enough to be turned into race cars the style had already evolved to something more like " Fast Elvis' " '55 Chev,IMHO.
    [​IMG]

I just have a little trouble believing that all those gassers were built from new cars. Only the "top dogs" of the sport would have enjoyed enough sponsorship cash and purse money to be able to use Detroit's latest offerings - (the same for vintage Nascar, which is why you see photos from '69 with an old '64 Galaxie in it).
    Most of the legit vintage photos I've seen used '59 and older bodies and the reason the current Gasser builds are later bodies is that they're cheaper than trying to replicate an ol' Willys or even a '55 Chev. Not trying to 'ruffle any feathers' here - making an observation. Just my 2 cents.

2. i totally agree.... my adopted dad is ronnie nunes. And he''l tell you the stories of how and when the gasser cars evolved ..the days of highly un-stable cars with old 392 hemi's on gas ..to the modern aa/gassers of today ...

AA-Ronnie%20Nunes%201.jpg

RonNunesAAGSCHRR06HutchPhoto2PM.jpg

3. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

A lot of that which is considered "HAMB friendly" isn't really historically correct - but it has the aesthetic of the period. Maybe an arbitrary rule, but it has kept the HAMB more popular for longer than less focused boards.

The point being that the modern-type drag cars, while respectable pieces of machinery, don't really turn my crank visually and I suspect they don't do much for the average HAMB poster, either.

A Falcon done in the vein of that '55 would go over well, however, and I wouldn't mind seeing some drag-oriented builds like that.

-Dave

4. I understand what you are saying and I'm following you to a point but....this wasn't started as a Gasser thread, but a Falcon thread. Everyone's interpretation of "Done Right" won't be the same, but I personally enjoy seeing all the varieties of build styles of a particular model - what ever that may be. If people didn't like a certain amount of variety, there would be a forum out there for each model and build style. * As cool as a dedicated forum for '55 Chevy Gassers would be, it would be a yawner after awhile *. I see stuff on here all day that isn't my cup of tea, so I just click off it and click on something else - maybe even a Gasser thread!

5. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I agree with you there, but I still think it needs to be HAMB topical to keep this thread from being diluted into meaninglessness. I’m not a moderator, and they’ll allow what they’ll allow, but if this thread gets taken over by Falcons done in a pro-touring, pro-street, pro-stock, and/or resto-mod style, I don’t think it will last.

The unwritten rule around here is pre-‘65 cars done in a pre-‘73 aesthetic. We’re starting to get beyond that.

I’m not trying to police the thread (although I am disappointed every time I take the time to open it only to find a modern-type build posted), but Screamin’ Mad J.D. asked if there were others here with drag cars, the implication being similar to the ones he had posted, and I was attempting to explain to him why he wasn’t seeing any.

-Dave

6. Makes sense to me!

7. studeynut

studeynut

Getting back to Falcons, here's a shot of my 62 Ranchero with alot of custom body work, rolled pans,enlarged rear wheelwells, functional scoop, custom tail lights, etc. My fun daily driver stude wheel 002.jpg

8. falconeer

falconeer

Studeynut,
    How a bout some more pics of your 62 Ranchero.

Butch Evans(Falconeer)
    Thomasville NC

9. zmcmil2121

zmcmil2121

Oh boo hoo. This thread has come back so many times, it is insane. I love it!

Throw up the van!

10. woodywagon1965r

woodywagon1965r

still on board dont care how its done if its a falcon its right lol
    cruise /altered/race/... or just a mix of all its all good

Attached Files:

11. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

woodywagon1965r, I like that. What's the engine - supercharged V6?

-Dave

12. Based on plug wire count alone, I'm gonna guess Supercharged 302.

13. studeynut

studeynut

Here's some more of my 62 Ranchero as requested. [/ATTACH][/ATTACH] Didn't like the gas cap on the side, so I moved it behind the tail light.

Attached Files:

14. studeynut

studeynut

Glad to see I'm not the only one with a V6, mine's an 85 Mustang 3.8. Have $1100 in the car so far. Still designing a grill for the front. The front roll pan is the top remains of the fenders I used for the rear wheelwells.
    [/ATTACH]

Attached Files:

15. tpw35

tpw35

I had HotRod Walt from the Psycho Devilles come over and do some pin stripping, I also got a new hood and bumpers from Crites.

Attached Files:

16. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I must be going blind. :rolleyes: Thanks.

-Dave

17. Ghostcruiser

Ghostcruiser
    from NE Florida

Damn if that ain't just frikkin' AWESOME, Studey....I wanna do something similar to my wagon! :D

Rob

18. woodywagon1965r

woodywagon1965r

The count was right its a 8
    best time to date is 11.7 at 118 mph

by the way looking to do something with gas cap too studley
    but think i want to go threw the tailight center
    still working on the detals ..lol but i got a plan

Attached Files:

19. studeynut

studeynut

Good looking wagon woodywagon. I used stainless steel dog dishes for tail light trim gives it a frenched-in look and a beautiful glow at night

20. studeynut, I have a '62 Ranchero and wanted to relocate the gas filler. What mechinism did you use.I like do-it-yourself projects usually cheeper and better I hope this is the case.Thanks for any help Ken N.

21. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I saw a wagon on a personal sight called rickwrench.com that used the filler caps from a jag sedan from the eighties. I'm usually not to much for body mods, buy that was pretty cool.

22. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Rick(wrench) is a rockstar. His S-10 five-speed install is a constant reference for me.

-Dave

23. studeynut

studeynut

I actually used a heavy duty kitchen drawer slide. I'm going to move the gas tube alittle more to the rear. I had thought of using a newer 1 peice hood hinge to swing out, more work, I went simple.1300313

Attached Files:

24. thanks studenut, wheels are turning. Now get-er-done.

25. falconizer_62

falconizer_62

thanks for the pics...
    do you have a latch to lock it in place when closed?
    very cool idea. I was thinking boomerang hinges, and now you got me thinking differently...
    love it! thanks.

26. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Studeynut dude, i like what i see! I think you need a healthy slam and a good wheel/tire combo next, but sure as fuk i like the direction youre goin.

27. studeynut

studeynut

Had it low 2 years ago, liked the look but hated climbing out. (my body is getting old) For my daily driver its much more comfortable up in the air, maybe airbag it later

28. studeynut

studeynut

29. igby

igby

love this car,

63falcon.jpg

she's not bad either.

30. dirttoo

dirttoo

I've got a few new pics of mine even tho I haven't been able to work on it for a while.

Attached Files:

Maverick Daddy likes this.