Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Falcons done right?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by guiseart, Nov 20, 2005.

1. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I also haven't done the swap, but have read reports they are different enough that it takes some fab work to accomplish! I have an earlier grille on my '63 and it took a lot of parts swapping, and reworking to get it to even kinda work.
    [​IMG]

exterminator likes this.
  2. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

Thanks guys but in typical Nailhead fashion by the time I made up my mind the 2 '60 Frontenacs had been sent to the crusher.......doh! jeez with the price of steel so low I bet it was barely worth it....I've decided the "arrow" front end isnt my favorite but I'll keep it gotta find both fenders and a hood though....in a perfect world given all the necessary skills I would graft the front fender edge, hood lip, headlight bezels and narrowed grille from a '63 fairlane on the falcon and make a mini thunderbolt.........

brEad likes this.
  3. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

Does anyone have any personal experience using the mustang eng. mounts in a '63 falcon?
    What year? i'm assuming '64.5 -'66
    Anyone know of 14" rims that will fit both the dog dish falcon caps, ford 5 lug and the disc brakes? mopar?

4. Liam-B

Liam-B
    from Melbourne

I have heard of people using the mustang mounts but I actually used 63 V8 Falcon sprint ones in mine to be sure the Windsor would fit as the Ford engineers intended!

Just tack weld three ball bearings to your 14" rims, then you can clip your original hubcap onto any steel wheel rim you have.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
    droppedstepside likes this.
  5. Hey, Liam, your master cylinder is on the wrong side?
    What happened?

Yes, the very early Mustang motor mounts are the same, as long as they look like this.
    Here are some part numbers:
    You'll need the right and left rubber insulated engine mounts (Rock Auto DEA A2220 and A2221).
    The V-8frame mounts:
    http://www.falconparts.com/ford-falcon-auto-parts/pc/1960-1965-V-8-FRAME-MOUNTS-65p492.htm ,
    And the intermediate brackets:
    http://www.falconparts.com/ford-fal...1965-V-8-INTERMEDIATE-MOUNT-BRACKETS-p547.htm
    [​IMG]
    It looks like this.....I'm using an 87 E7TE 5.0/302 block.

14" Granada steel wheels will fit over Granada disc brakes and take early dog dishes...
    Here's my 63, 3 years ago with Granada 14" wheels on the front and 5 lug 14" Mustang wheels on the back.
    [​IMG]

I suggest you find the "Doing Falcons Right" thread- this is a cut and paste from it.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  6. wow lot of love for the ol Falcons here's a 63 Sprint convert, that we did recently it was a very bad rust bucket, but turned out pretty nice also a buddy of mines 64 that also turned out real nice.

Attached Files:

7. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

....And, even though it hasn't been asked, if you are going to disc brakes, and keeping your four lug stuff, need a 14" wheel to clear and want the 10 1/8" style caps, look to later sixties Mustang, Falcon, and four lug Mavericks for these wheels. They won't take the stock Falcon caps though...

8. Hey Chip! Long time no see in the Falcon threads.....

need louvers ? likes this.
  9. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

OK, we're only about 95% done, but it LOOKS done and I'm putting it in the Detroit Autorama...

10. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

- thanks Liam i thought of the ball bearing idea too but getting it precise might be a bit of a bugger I'm thinking mopar used little dog dish caps hopefully I can find somthing that doesnt need to much modifying
    - Louvers the pre 67 ford rims should accepth the caps but the centers would have to be hogged out
    - Thanks Burnt you are actually using the larger maverick caps.........i'm pretty familiar with the stock comet/falcon mounts they were like gold before they were repopped I saw a thread where a guy used "stock mustang" mounts lah-dee-dah but didnt go into any detail they looked like the 64.5-66 mounts though.... I can get those all day long for $100 cdn or $350 us plus shipping plus duty for the stockers.............Anyone else tried this?

11. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

12. [​IMG]
    Here's a shot the later V-8 mounts, well the R/H one anyway, that were originally in my 63.
    These will work, kinda' sorta', but please note that they only have two bolts going through the lower mount into the shock towers. The earlier cast lower mounts use three.
    I ditched this set up because I couldn't use the "under engine" brace with them.

13. And the left.
    You can see half the top shock tower bolt hole....

[​IMG]

14. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

Thanks Burnt did you ever place your eng in with these mounts? did it move the eng foward or backward up or down? If i can make this work it will be much more cost effective for me but i'm a bit worried the devil is in the details how did they prevent you from using the crossmember?

15. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

shouldn't be hard to weld a tab on to the base to use 3 bolts

16. Flootiebuell

Flootiebuell

1963 Falcon 2 door with 56k original miles on it.....building a "Clone" road racer, so far this is the work that has been done.

Maverick 8" rear end, CSRP Granada disc brakes, Open Tracker-standard upper/lower control arms, roller bearing spring perches, roller idler arm, 1" sway bar, 1965 Falcon centerlink, relocated upper control arm (Shelby drop), rolling on 90's Crown Vic steel wheels, with Falken 205/50R/15s.

Interior has new carpet, and two BMW M3 buckets without head rests, closest thing I could find that looked kinda like old style race seats.. The original door panels, dash and interior paint are perfect, and NO RUST ANYWHERE. All trim in place and good condition....trunk still has original mat in super great condition. Paint is Plastidip light blue, and the bumpers, wheels, and trim are Plastidip Metallic Silver. Still has the original 170ci 6 cylinder, and auto trans.

This little Falcon handles great with all the suspension upgrades. Next up a nice little 302 and T-5.

Attached Files:

17. Nail:
    The car had these mounts for two years with two different V-8's: the 302 it came with and the 347 that replaced the 302.
    After somebody gave me the earlier cast lower mounts, I bought the remaining early style pieces from a Mustang vendor and installed them.
    The placement of the engine didn't change at all- I just jacked the engine up an inch and bolted all the earlier stuff in along with the "under engine" brace.
    I think it took about 45 minutes with a smoke break between sides.

18. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

wow I really dig your undersides! those pans are nice the brace is skookum and I dig that you incorporated the stock stop switch into your fluid block

19. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

- Thanks again Burnt I will go with the mustang much easier to find yea i'm stoked!
    Nice work flootie and Auto

20. "skookum" must be a Canadian thing...
    Because I can't leave well enough alone, I quit using the pressure switch and converted to a 65-up Ford pedal mounted mechanical switch:

[​IMG]

21. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I had the same thought a while back. I researched it out, but the MoPar little caps and the Falcon little caps are different sizes and won't interchange. I think I detailed it out on a thread on TFFN at the time.

I've yet to find a good solution for putting the bottle caps on a five-lug wheel or any wheel that will clear disc brakes, hence the '62 Galaxie dog dishes on my '62 Falcon with Maverick wheels.

If you figure it out, be sure to let us know!

22. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

ha ha lol ya pacific northwest jargon (eh) it means: tough, durable....
    Big I did the same thing with a '65 2 dr. I had a set of the galaxy caps and mav 14"rims which are essentially the same style from '67-'78 with early ones having the small hub........I also had a '65 4 dr. that came with 14" 4 lug rims it also came with a set of 13" both of them fit the stock '65 caps I thought the 14" set were probably Mustang rims if someone can compare the 60-63 caps to the 64-5 caps and IF they are the same diameter then I can almost guarantee the caps will fit the early '60's (pre-67) 14" rims they will fit the falcon caps but have the small hub register so it seems to me the easy way would be to hog out the centers....can anyone check the cap diameter? what about the drum brake guys? anyone running stock caps on a V8 drum hub 14" wheel?

23. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

- Big cheese the falcon caps are 9 1/8th diameter I believe V8 falcons had a 5 lug rim and used the same hubcaps they should be fairly common too but that is supposition can anyone verify this?
    if so the centers could be bored out to the disc register for 14" rims
    - alternately for "15 rims the chrysler cap mount is 8 3/4 and provide a nice flat surface to either weld a few ballbearings on or you could add a little weld on to bring the tabs out to 9 1/8th

24. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

so nobody on this site ever had a 63 v8 falcon/comet/fairlane?

25. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

although I appreciate the advice to check out these Falcon threads and looking at 100's of cool falcons is entertaining i'm finding it exhausting to glean any technical info from all these posts and yes of course i've searched........maybe i'm not using the right keywords........I started a thread and 5 people posted that I should post them on this thread but I think it has petered out.......

26. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We're still going. I am about to post some more pictures of my ongoing Falcon evolution.

More gears, more power, not more cylinders, or more lugs.

27. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Have you tried The Ford Falcon News (www.tffn.net)?

28. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not sure if this is what you are asking, but I did have a v8 63 Fairlane - same center caps as Galaxie, and Falcon caps were too small. And I know it had the original wheels/caps as it was bought new by my grandfather.

29. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

-Ok Gimpy we will keep it alive
    - Thanks Mike will check it out
    - Thanks Phillips theres the answer.........ok back to the drawing board

30. The Law

The Law
    from N. AZ

It's probably not everyone's cup of tea but here is my 63 Sprint. I just finished up the exhaust, and ended up having to dump it in front of the tires. The rear end is to low and the 4 link is in the way so I could not run it out the back. Please disregard the header leak... its on the list...