Register now to get rid of these ads!

falcon straight axle length and steering

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BrickTopp, Aug 26, 2009.

1. BrickTopp

BrickTopp

allright so i did a search looking for what most guys are running on there falcon for front axle length and was unsuccesfull.

so my question is for all you straight axle falcon guys whats your hub to hub length. i want a little narrower then stock for my 63 and am looking at speedways 46 in w/ a 54 and 1/4 hub to hub. im thinking im right on but just want to see what some of you guys are running and if you had anyproblems. if you have any photos of your car that would be great so i can associate the length with the look.

and my other question is what kinda steering box are you using? So far im only positive on cross steer and dont know what box is best. so any suggestions would be great

much appreciated

Last edited: Aug 28, 2009
  2. porkshop

porkshop
    from Clovis Ca

Building a 65 comet. Researched and came up with 48 inch kinpin centers and using the stock steering box.I dont have pics to post yet.....

3. choke

choke

Just finished a 65 comet. They should be similar. We used a Speedway 46" axle w/Ford spindles. Had 4 1/2" U.S. Mags w/5.60-15's Looked right. But we moved the front axle foward 1 1/2" for that altered look. We used the stock steering box. Only had to put a slight bend in the cross link to clear the R.S. leaf spring when the wheels were turned all the way to the left. The only problem I see on this style of chassis is where the subframe runs into the footboxes. If you want to run the tires centered in the wheel wells, you'll have to do some surgery to the foot box or fab an offset rear spring hanger to mount the back of the spring. This was with a 34 1/4" which is pretty short to begin with for a street car! Good Luck!!!!

4. BrickTopp

BrickTopp

hey thanx porkshop and choke
    choke it looks like im heading the same route as you. any chance you ran a steering dampner?

Last edited: Aug 26, 2009

5. choke

choke

We haven't gotten it running yet, so I don't know if there's going to be a problem. If so we can use a VW dampner or get a chrome one from So-Cal. There is zero play in the system. We lucked out and got a really good steering box. I used the complete Speedway kit. The only changes I made were. I used axle u-bolts w/ my spring perches and also fabricated thick steering stops. It's a very complete well thought out kit for the price. $825.00 delivered complete with disc brakes. They even give you you an adaptor stud for your steering box to cross steer, also high misalignment bushings are provided for all the heim ends. The only thing you need to order is the heim ends and tube for the cross steering! We have the complete small block motor in the car so the completed car sat 5 1/2" higher than when we stared. You'll definitelly need to bring the rear up at least 3".