Register now to get rid of these ads!

Falcon pitman arm question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dirttoo, Jan 24, 2010.

1. dirttoo

dirttoo

I am looking for a different pitman arm for my '60 Falcon "gasser". The stock arm has 2 holes and I was wanting somthing with only 1 hole for strength reasons. My car has a Speedway straight axle under it and I would like an arm that drops down a little instead of going up off the steering box. Looks like it will go right thru the small block Chevy oil pan now. Anyone have any suggestions of what other pitman arms fit? Thanks

2. Big Russ

Big Russ

Have you had any luck here?

I've got the same issue & was wondering if a dropped 4x4 pitman arm from a Bronco or F100 would fit. I have e-mailed a supplier in the states asking for shaft size & teeth number to see if they'll fit. Will let you know if I have any luck.

3. dirttoo

dirttoo

I've got nothing yet. My car is back apart before final assembly. Let me know what you find out. I will research more also.

4. Big Russ

Big Russ

Ford use a 36 spline 1 1/8" broached hole in their truck steering boxes.

I'm not sure about early falcon but I think they're 1" (?)

I have a '69 Falcon box (Aussie) & it'll fit that. Maybe a later Mustang or Failane will fit.

Cool car BTW.

I haven't been game to cut mine up like you have. I've just put a '48 F1 axle under it. No MIG at present so progress stalled.

Hope this helps.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010

5. 69fury

69fury

there were two falcon splines through the early years, i'll find the info tonight. I too was looking for a drop bronco one, but haven't gotten the info yet.

I'm actually contemplating an offset block to take a rod end at the top, but have the drag link welded to the bottom of the block (about 4 inches of drop)

This will get the drag link under the oil pan (small block dodge) and to the passenger arm (65 g10 chevy axle switched to cross steer)

i dont like the drop idea - i'm fine with the weld strength, but will this impart a bending load on the threaded shaft of the rod end.

OH BTW! the taper/hole of the falcon is TINY .488" at the big end! Not much room to take it out to 9/16" (dont know of any rod ends with a 9/16" hole anyway. 5/8 is out of the question-

Would you run a 1/2" grade 8 bolt on the rodend/pitman? ..........:(

rick

6. 69fury

69fury

here we go- scroll down to the steering box sizes and pitman arm info.

http://www.fordfalcon2000.com/restoration/tiltcolumn.htm

If anyone knows a stock ford box that uses these dimensions (mines a 61)

there may be a stock one that some wheeler is pitching to switch to a drop pitman- i'd maybe be interested in a drop pitman but they usually run a couple hundred, when new...

We can drop the stockers if need be...

-rick

7. bill wallace

bill wallace

A 1/2 in grade 8 bolt will be ok but better yet is a fine thread aircraft bolt of the nas type. Ithink"EARLS" might have them.