Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Falcon ID help..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by southerncad, Aug 15, 2016.

1. southerncad

southerncad

A friend just bought a '64 Falcon that has a lot of upgrades (5 lugs all around, disc brakes, posi-rear. 302 etc...and the last owner is clueless) and want to know if the car was an 8 or 6 originally, so where do we look for numbers to confirm the ID, and what are the numbers for a 6 cyl & 8 cyl? Thanx in advance for any help.

2. RmK57

RmK57

Top of the driver side fender apron should have a cutout where the fender bolts on with the vin #. I think its the fifth digit for the engine cid. Drivers door has a plate with all the drive train info to but if the doors been replaced......

3. unless the front end has been changed it was a v8 car. 5 lugs=v8, 4 lugs =6 cyl

4. Pretty sure V8's had a doubled up shock strut,,,off the firewall.

5. The first number is the year, so that should be a 4, than a letter for the assembly plant - like H which is Lorain Ohio, next comes body style - 01 would be a 2 door sedan, then the next one, and this is the engine. 6 = 260 V8 lo compression or F = 260 V8 2 bbl, 4 = 170" six lo compression, U = 170 six 1 bbl, T = 200" six 1 bbl
    Etc.

6. All the Falcons had the shock tower to firewall braces, no diff between 6 and 8

gimpyshotrods and need louvers ? like this.
  7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That swap can be done in an afternoon.

8. I had an early Falcon a 63 and the 45 degree struts or braces from the firewall top to the fender had the strut doubled up. The strut top hat section had another hat section spot welded to the bottom so it was a closed brace.
    Hope I explained it as it was. This was a V8

scrapiron likes this.
  9. What he said, ,,,thanks,,,,,I had a'63 V8 also.

10. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

As far as I know, there were only unibody differences in the roundbody cars, '64-up used the same unibody regardless of engine.

11. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is my understanding, as well.