Register now to get rid of these ads!

Falcon guys....seperating column from box

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Leadsled51, Jul 5, 2011.

1. Leadsled51

Leadsled51

Ok Falcon gurus.....1963 Falcon....three on tree column. How do you separate it from the steering box? It looks like it just slides out, but mine doesn't budge. Is there a bolt or something that I'm missing?

2. Hotrodbuilderny

Hotrodbuilderny

You do realize just the outer column comes off, you take the wheel off, the support bracket under dash, and I believe there is a clamp at the box, it's been awhile but should slide up into car the shaft stays with the box

3. JEM

JEM

Shaft that comes out of the box is one piece, all the way.to the wheel, there's a clip and a bearing and some other detritus that needs to come off the top, then you can slide them apart if you've got enough room.

4. Leadsled51

Leadsled51

In other words.....if I want to use a different steering box with the Falcon column, it's not gonna happen? Was hoping to use a different steering box, or at least maybe move it forward (straight axle, change to cross steering). I thought I could separate the two. Didn't want to have to buy another column.

5. BobbyD

BobbyD
    from Belmont NC

You can make the Falcon box a cross steer by putting a dual link tie-rod or upper arm (Speedway) and make 2 new links, a drag and a cross. I done it in a '61 and moved the axle forward 3", worked out great. Let me see if I can find a pic to add...

Attached Files:

6. Leadsled51

Leadsled51

Yea what you have in the pic is what I'm planning on doing....the pitman arm just looks to be too short, wanted to see if I could make a new arm, so everything will clear. I only wanted to separate the two pieces so it would be easier to remove the pitman arm.

7. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Rather than take everything apart, wouldn't it be easier to usea pitman arm puller to take it off? As far as separating the column, it can be done fairly easily by cutting it off just behind the box and turning an adaptor on a lathe to take a common bearing in the base of the column. You could use a later Mustang box that takes a joint rather than a solid shaft. I believe Maverick is the same as well.

8. Hotrodbuilderny

Hotrodbuilderny

I used both the falcon box, and column in my falcon, I moved the box to the front. I cut the column about 2 inches from the box so I had a nub sticking out. I then shortened the outer column about 2 1/2. I then made a bushing to fit the bottom of the column to support the inner shaft, you can buy lock rings at any decent hardware store to fit the 3/4 shaft, make sure you push the outer column up so that the bearing in the top of the column is under a slight load, mark where the lock ring is then where the lock ring set screw ends up drill a small dimple for the set screw to seat in, so it doesn't slide then you gan either grind flats [I did mine on the milling machine] or find someone who will mill it for you, or you can use round couplings or ujoints with grade eight 1/4 bolts. Drill thru the coupler and shaft with a 1/4 inch bit and use nylock nuts

Last edited: Jul 6, 2011