Register now to get rid of these ads!

falcon/comet fuse box..help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oddrod46, Nov 17, 2006.

1. oddrod46

oddrod46
    from Georgia

How int he hell do I get to that fusebox on my girls 63 comet. it feels like it has about 4 fuses in it and i need to get to where i can check them and put them back in how do you do it ?Iknow there is a way!

2. FORD FAN

FORD FAN

You're right there are very few fuses. Located under the drivers side kick panel. I use the point of a test light to gently remove them. Also you can unbolt the panel to gain better access. It should have 2 screws.

3. guiseart

guiseart

yep... or stand on your head, stick your tongue out slightly to the left, while holding a minature flashlight in your mouth, and pry them out with an icepick.

4. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

If you can ,Turn the key on and use the test light to check the fuses.

5. Powerband

Powerband

? - This is news to me.

As far as I'v seen, The 60-65 Falcon/Comets have the fusebox attached to the bottom of the headlight switch. To service you reach up under the dash and press the switch shaft release button on the inner side of the switch , then unscrew the dash bezel/retainer and the whole switch and fusebox comes out. Better to do this with the batt'y disconnected or learn how to weld inadvertently.

Powerband :cool:
    [​IMG]

6. powerband is right, theres no kick panel fuse box there unless someone added it on

7. Barn-core

Barn-core

I've always stuck my head under the dash, put my legs over the back of the seat, and stood on my head, seriously!

8. butch27

butch27

Right with the light switch behind dash..See above item

9. shortyforty

shortyforty
    from NH

I just bought a new light switch for the 63 Falcon and noticed it has 2 clips that hold the fuse/wire section to the switch section. You should be able to pop the spring clips and drop the fuse/wire section down without removing the whole assembly from the dash.

10. andykatona

andykatona

I just changed mine 63 comet. Had to finesse the release button a while before headlight knob would release. What sadist engineer designed that setup, never seen one quite like it. I will relocate in future.

11. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I tossed that whole POS headlight switch and fuse block. Rewired with a new wiring harness and fuse block so I could have it all out where it's easy to access and use plug in modern fuses. Amazing that back in the 60's when cars were really well built that Ford came up with such a lame setup for a fuse block!

12. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Powerband is right. Spring clip and the fuse section removes.

13. finn

finn

It worked well considering the era and number of accessories available that required electricity. Remember that these were intended as cheap ass, entry level cars intended to compete with cheap ass Volkswagons and that ilk. Power windows? Cruise control? I don't think air conditioning was even available initially!

By the mid 60's, the market moved and they got a "proper" fuse box, but even that is pretty sketchy by today's standards.

I agree on installing an aftermarket kit. That's on my list.

14. 65COMET

65COMET

Ford/Mercury stopped that in 65,but like it has been said,it wasn't much better.finn nailed it to,those cars were cheap,entry level cars,not much need for big fuse panels yet as not too many electrical accessories were available!! ROY.

15. hyperfe

hyperfe

I just replaced the original Falcon fuse box with a very nice little box from Centech, these guys are Ford friendly. It worked out great.

16. syxxstring

syxxstring

How much time and cost is involved in gutting the wiring and starting over in these cars? It seems like it would solve a few headaches and provide some good fire insurance with 50 plus year old wiring.