Register now to get rid of these ads!

Falcon clutch help broken Z bar

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pooch, Oct 11, 2007.

1. Pooch

Pooch
    from Oklahoma

I got a 64 Falcon with a 289 and I have broken my Z bar twice I weld it and it breaks in a different spot. It has rusted from the inside. I need some info on what is available or interchangable. I thought mustang parts might work but the mustang place dosent have a z bar in stock to look at.
    Help.... Pooch

2. butch27

butch27

I think National Parts Depot may have those.

3. Ford Freak

Ford Freak

Try AutoKrafters, or Dearborn Classics. They have lots of stuff.:D

Bernie

4. your better off making your own. not sure if anyone makes the falcon model, its different than the mustangs. i modified a mustang bar to work on my car, but it was alot of work, would of been quicker to just start fresh. also, cable clutch conversions are availible if you want to go that way check out darkhorseperformance.

5. 58Lincoln

58Lincoln

If you are using a heavy duty pressure plate (I used to get them from Ford with a HD disc called a Cobra matched set) you may continue to break them. I used to break that clutch linkage regularly in my old Falcon Hot Rod, and the clutch master cyclinder in my Sunbeam Tiger didn't like the heavy duty pressure plates either.

Good Luck.

6. ray

ray
    from colorado

i'd consider a cable conversion. when i built my GF's falcon, first time around i used the z-bar, had poor feel and the clutch chattered, i could feather it fine, but my GF couldn't drive it without lurching. a few months later i swapped to the cable setup, MUCH smoother!

7. Pooch

Pooch
    from Oklahoma

I had a feeling the clutch may be the problem. This bar has been fixed several times. I sand blasted it and gave it a good looking over today. It appears to be rusting from the inside out. The shaft has sheared several times and has been rewelded. I used a cheap socket to beef up the part I welded the last time. Im worried that if I do this again one of the arms will break next time.

8. Pooch

Pooch
    from Oklahoma

Where did you get a cable set up?

9. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

10. ray

ray
    from colorado

tons of "classic" mustang parts vendors have kits. the mustang used the falcon pedal assy, or at least they are close enough that the mustang kit works. the kits that i know of use a later model mustang(fox body or later) bellhousing, but the stocker could probably be modified too...as for me, being a tight-assed machinist, i just bought a stock replacement cable for a fox bodied mustang, and made my own quadrant...the piece that connects the cable to the pedal arm.

11. Pooch

Pooch
    from Oklahoma

I have one coming from, Falcon parts.com .

Thanks for all the help
    Pooch