Register now to get rid of these ads!

fairlane trans won't shift

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by orange crush, Sep 14, 2013.

1. I have a 1962 fairlane with a 2sp automatic that won't up shift to 2nd when its cold, and shifts very late when it warms up. The car has seen little use in the last 20 years. Just looking for a place to start. Thanks Carlg

2. hoop98

hoop98
    from Texas

The Fordamatic 2 Speed is a conventional transmission with shifts controlled by throttle pressure, governor pressure, and a High clutch.

Either some valves are sticking or the high clutch seals are hard from age and won't apply until softened by heat.

I would change the fluid, add a shift improver product or seal softener and give it a good thrashing.

Other than that there is the throttle linkage, but it wouldn't be temp sensitive.

3. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

What hoop98 said.

4TTRUK

4. I'm not a transmission expert but if it's sat 20 years it's past due for a change of transmission fluid,,something has gummed up. HRP

5. 2dr_sedan

2dr_sedan

I'd start with the vacuum line and modulator valve. Typically the modulator is screwed onto the rear of the trans. Easy to find, just follow the vacuum line.