Register now to get rid of these ads!

failing coils

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by garcoal, Aug 28, 2011.

1. garcoal

garcoal

i have a non hamb friendly jag v12. it has 2 coils one for each bank.it will start and run normal. in a few miles it starts running really bad, like i lost 6 cyl. no i havent done any checking yet, just wondering if that is common way for coils to fail heat related. also ps these cars have the reputation for bad wiring for a reason. but when this car is running, top down you tend to forget what a pain in the ass it is. any thoughts on this

2. garcoal

garcoal

nobody in our vast arena of knowledge cares to post a guess on this one.

3. Reminds me of the old joke. If ya buy a Jag, ya better get two of em. So you have one to drive while the other is in the shop! No really, I think they tend to be beautiful looking creatures - the old ones anyway. Maybe ya could salvage the seats and some of the stuff for your hot rod? I pulled a set of aluminum sill plates from an old Jag sedan (1970's ?) at the salvage this summer. I plan to cut them down (removing the Jag name) and use them as sill plates on the roadster. Also picked up the two chrome hinged gas filler caps that fit behind the back glass. At 8 bucks they were way too cool to pass up.

I didn't answer your question but I know my '97 Ford F150 has coil problems now. When it heats up it will idle rough and even die. Time again for new coil packs I'm guessing..

Thats a good point though. Ya can overlook a lot of crap when a car is that much fun to drive! Good luck....

Last edited: Aug 29, 2011
  4. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

As the old saying goes, "Lucas invented darkness". Sounds like one bad coil. I've had a coil go bad and the car quit running until the coil cooled off. It took about 5 miles.