Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical factory tri power for 60 olds

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Lono, Jun 11, 2017.

1. Lono

Lono

I've found a factory tripower that comes with factory air cleaner, rebuildable carbs, fuel lines, some linkage for sale. I'm not sure what a fair price would be.. any suggestions?
    Because the linkage may not be intact, I was wondering if anyone knows of a go to olds guru that would have parts or would be able to rebuild the set up. Tranny linkage will be an issue too. My stock 371 would love having this as a crown. She's ready for her fresh top coat and a tri power would be killer.
    Any help would sure be appreciated.

Attached Files:

jnaki and kidcampbell71 like this.
  2. check with Tony at Ross Racing as he is the go to guy on Olds stuff. That air cleaner is a real find! The 348 Chev shared the same parts and many are available thru the 348-409 suppliers like Show Cars. Might want to look there.

jnaki likes this.
  3. jnaki

jnaki

Hey VTW and LONO,
    That set up looks awfully familiar with the huge three hole air cleaner for the carbs. Every time we were tuning that 3 carb set up in our 58 Impala 348, that huge three hole air cleaner had to come off to get access. As a matter of fact, the whole GM line, Olds, Pontiacs, Chevys, offered the 3- 2 barrel set up for their motors.

One of our friends had a new Pontiac Bonneville with the 3/2 set up in 62. The Chevys and Pontiacs continued with this set up, while we never saw any Olds cars with that set up, except in dealer brochures and manuals. Wikipedia is your friend.

Jnaki
    Actually, that 3 carb Olds set up is rare as the only Olds cars we saw were the big family cars with just a 4 barrel for a carb. Actually, that advertising slogan was correct, "It was your daddy's Oldsmobile" for the family car.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
  4. carbking

carbking

Olds had tripower available in 1957, 1958, and 1966.

The air cleaner looks more like 1958 Pontiac than Olds. Of course, you are putting it on a 1960, so as long as it fits, no matter.

Jon.

stillrunners likes this.

5. J-2 option on the 371

6. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

7. saltracer219

saltracer219

The tri power setup you have pictured will only bolt on and match up to the ports on 57-8 371 engines. It was part of the 57-8 only J-2 option. The ports on the 59 up engines are too large for that manifold to seal. The manifold can however be milled to fit the earlier 303-324 engines.

8. Paul

Paul
    Editor

looks like a '58

9. Lono

Lono

Damn.... thanks guys, I guess I'll need to let it go.

10. no...buy it smart - $500 - and think you could still make some money....maybe the HAMB classifieds ? My last J2 manifold only....went to a buddy for $100....think it's still on his shelve....

11. Not worth a fortune by any means. But a nice manifold. I'm running one on a 394.
    Simply made 1/2" spacers out of aluminum to make up for the different deck height from the 371. Has been working like a charm for 3 years.

16.jpg
    165.jpg

Paul, j3harleys and kidcampbell71 like this.
  12. Lono

Lono

It's a thought...

13. Lono

Lono

Damn that's sensual!
    I think I'd end up having to punch a hole in my hood to get clearance. As it with a stock 2bbl there's little room between the hood and air cleaner. I sure love the looks of that engine though.

14. Lono

Lono

A friend has a 55 olds with a 4 bbl. He's wondering if it will fit his and fit under a stock hood.
    what exactly would it take to fit his motor?

15. Lono

Lono

What is the height off the deck to the top of your highest air cleaner?
    I think we've got about 15 inches to work with on buddies 55 olds.