Register now to get rid of these ads!

Factory Pinstripes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BluesHound, Sep 12, 2006.

1. BluesHound

BluesHound

Okay, it's not on a car. I acquired this safe from my recently deceased grandmother while helping to clean out her house this weekend. All of the non-black paint appears to be hand-done, but I'm not sure if was done by brush or some sort of paint pen. I'd like to find out how old it is, my gut feel is 1930-ish but I haven't found any serial numbers yet. Maybe somebody can shed some light on this.

Anyway, I thought some of you would be interested in seeing this. The days of factory pinstripes are gone, be it on cars or safes or whatever.

[​IMG]

2. Nice score! My wife just bought me one at a local auction last week.I saw it there and liked the striping on it but was told it wasn't a part of the auction.I left shortly thereafter and my wife stayed.

When she called to tell me she was ready to come home she said she had bought the safe for $50. A local antiques dealer was also after it and when he found out my wife bought it offered her $150 for it.

This one came from an ice cream shop that was once a bank in town.It was made by the Cary Safe Co. of Buffalo NY.Looks to be made of 3/8ths steel and weighs about 500 lbs.

I haven't got it open yet but supposedly there is nothing of value in it.I really don't care if I ever get it open;the paintwork is enough for me.Gold transfer lettering but all the striping is hand done. If nothing else it will make a great workbench!

Attached Files:

3. BluesHound

BluesHound

Thanks Ray. The combination lock mechanism is missing on mine, which drops the value I'm sure. I don't really care what the value is, I'm more interested in finding out how old it is.

On a side note, I did find an old pen inside (the kind you dip in the ink) and also a receipt from when my grandpa bought it at auction. The winning bid was $7.50.

4. old beet

old beet

SAFARIKNUT, those things are not to hard to open. Most have a pendelum system. Think turning back a speedometer. Have a paper and pencil near you, to remember what you did.....I've opened a few!........OLDBEET

5. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

My brother is a jeweler, so he has aquired a few safes over the years. The older, heavier stuff is almost always striped really well and I've even seen gold leaf on one. They took a lot of pride in their work. That's a whole other hobby to suck up hot rod money. I try to stay away from them. :)