Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Fabulous Forgotten Gassers From Drag Racing's Glory Days

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bill McGuire, Apr 23, 2014.

1. CGkidd

CGkidd

2. Thanks! Got some favorites here, including the Grist Bros. Willys above. Lincoln power!

3. Love this car. Do not adjust your set.

[​IMG]

4. ^^^^That messes me up!!^^^^

5. 33hotrod

33hotrod

Looks like back of 55' Ford, and front 55' Chevy! How cool is THAT!

6. KevinS

KevinS
    from Ohio

It is great to see Elverne Pfeifer's 41 Willys and that people still remember it. I now own this car and a complete build link can be seen here:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=786130

This car evolved over the year's Al had the car and became the 1964 NHRA "Best Engineered" car. I now have the original trophy from 1964 with the car compliments of Al's son.

Street Rodder Magazine listed the Willys one of the top 10 cars of 2013 in their April 2014 issue. Here are a few more recent pictures.

Attached Files:

7. KevinS

KevinS
    from Ohio

Here are some more historical photos of how the car looked and the last two are how it looks now with the same dark blue paint, matching wheels, ladder bars, zoomie headers, etc.

It still looks at home on the track now as it did in the 60's.

Attached Files:

8. Wow, thanks for the great info! By far the greatest part of doing these stories is people checking in with more info and discussion. Really makes it worthwhile.

9. KevinS

KevinS
    from Ohio

Any additional pictures and info on Pfeifer's car is always appreciated. I collect and record any documentation on the car. Thanks!

10. You bet. Feel free to drop a note in the reply section of the story.

11. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

Always love the small name gassers that have for the most part have been long forgotten!
    Jay

12. frank spittle

frank spittle

Good job Bill. I don't remember those 10. I will dig out photos of some I remember but are forgotton to most. I am sure we are seeing a resurgance in interest in those cars from the turnout at Greer S.C. yesterday.

13. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Can't look at this thread without thinking of the Filthy Forty. This is Pork being interviewed by the Wide World of Sports. First time that a drag race had ever been televised.[​IMG]

14. Thanks. Yes, I think gassers are pretty hot right now. Some of the tribute cars are magnificent, while others not so much. I'm hoping to get more info out there.

15. terrarodder

terrarodder
    from EASTERN PA

A friend of mine has the Hill Bros., Red Baron. Its fully restored what a neat car.

Attached Files:

16. Leadsled51

Leadsled51

I think there was a photo of it in one of the Rodders Journals, i cant remember what issue, i have it at work. There were a bunch of photos from the Nationals in it and it had your car in it. I think it had a photo of Elvern standing next to it.

17. The car is over the top in so many ways. Wow.

18. frank spittle

frank spittle

Hrudka Bros..jpg The Hrudka Bros. CC/G Willys. I took this pic at the 1966 Indy U.S. Nationals. I believe Joe was selling his gaskets there but not sure if he had founded Mr. Gasket yet. Can anyone identify the purple Willys beside it?

Last edited: May 22, 2014
  19. 296ardun

296ardun

Speaking of forgotten gassers, the Pittman & Edwards Willys got forgotten because of the cars both later ran, especially K.S. Pittman, but it is worth remembering (from the George Klass collection)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think this might be Doug Cook, but not entirely sure, Jr. Thompson?

[​IMG]

Lou Gasparelli's "Classical Gas"

[​IMG]

Billy Holt, Enterprise, Al (later ran funny cars)
    [​IMG]

Coonrod & Harry, from the Northwest

[​IMG]

Bruce Geisler, at Riverside

[​IMG]

Dick Bourgoise and Earl Wade (I never forgot this one, few gassers left the line quicker or more out of shape!)
    [​IMG]

Hamberis and Mitchell when they still ran a SBC

[​IMG]

I think this was Skip Hess, later of Shores & Hess fame, probably San Fernando, when gassers were also street driven (the REALLY old days!)
    [​IMG]

Airoso Brothers, Tulare, CA, blown Desoto, at Pomona

[​IMG]

Troxel & Son, a regular at SoCal tracks in the '60s
    [​IMG]

Very early at San Fernando, maybe '56 or '57

Lots more at George's gasser site:

http://georgeklass.net/gassers.html

enloe likes this.
  20. KevinS

KevinS
    from Ohio

Yes, I have a few of the Rodder's Journals with it in it. It is also in the latest Journal. There is a picture of it from when we took it to their "Revival" show in Baltimore last September. We drove the car all weekend and even on their tour. Of course, we were running the zoomie headers there all weekend as well.

21. KevinS

KevinS
    from Ohio

Thanks Bill. Here are a few more pics to show the "over the top" parts of the car. There is a lot more to see in person that most people do not know the car has - such as the entire front end will come off in one piece and slide off of the front cage, pull the door pins and the doors come off. Yes, the entire car is all steel. No glass here, and everything is metalworker and gapped.

The pictures reflect the entire body inside being painted. Note: the inside of the roof, floors in the trunk and inside rear quarters (everything is painted inside and out).

One off tach (all one piece), custom ladder bars, two different sets of headers (note the flange where they come apart to put the other set on. Exhaust remains under the car. Custom made headrests. Custom made shift handle, column drop all made to match headrests and other custom pieces throughout the car. Lo Man Rods in Tipp City, OH made every part! They also made the headers, injection stacks, entire front clip to slide out of the cage, and so much more.

I am not a part of Lo Man Rods, but they need credit for all the work they did on the car! You can check out their website at lomanrods.com.

Attached Files:

22. 41woodie

41woodie

An old favorite of mine, serious six cylinder

Attached Files:

23. Here's an extremely clean car from my area that could have been a show car. My guess is that Jimmy didn't campaign the car that much... He did race at Indy though. I should see if he has any old pictures of it.

Attached Files:

24. Incredible, thanks!

25. I remember this one - Hudson power!

26. frank spittle

frank spittle

O.jpg Here is an unusual Willys Jeep B/Gasser that I took a picture of at the 1966 U.S. Nationals. This is "The Overland Express" belonging to the Waldhauser Bros. I believe it was Hemi powered.

The Willys-Overland Jeep station wagon was produced from 1946-1965 and was the precursor to the Wagoneer.

Last edited: May 22, 2014
  27. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

There will be a bunch of historical gassers in Bowling Green next month.

28. Thank you thank you! This made my day. I remember this car but I have never, ever seen a photo until this moment. Thank you!

29. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

More like a 54 Ford Victoria with 55 Chevy front. No wraparound front screen. Different body to 55 Fords

lothiandon1940 likes this.