Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Fabbing new firewall - proper gauge sheetmetal?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vintage44, Aug 11, 2019.

1. vintage44

vintage44
    from NY
    1. New York H.A.M.B.ers

I've searched for some related info here on the HAMB with no luck. What gauge sheetmetal should I use if I want to mount the master cylinder on it? Should I just mount the M/C on the frame and go with a lighter more easily handled sheet metal?

31hotrodguy likes this.
  2. any sheet metal firewall will need an inner brace/braces to not flex when applying the brakes.

3. 16 Gauge is what the aftermarket guys are using. HRP

4. 1ton

1ton

I don't think mounting the MC to sheetmetal alone is a good idea. If not using a frame or bracket at least put some sort of stiffners in there.

5. I agree,regardless of the gauge sheet metal used to make the firewall some bracing would be advisable. HRP

6. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Many years ago I hung a dual master brake/clutch on the firewall of the 38, I used a couple of pieces of 1/8 inch ?? stiffen it, it worked but I wouldn't do it that way today....well I have the floor pedals back in like it was org built and the firewall looks way better with out that ugly master on it.

My suggestion is go with the frame mount, I suspect you can find a kit if you don't have any of the org pieces to modify. (I built my own using the org pedals)

7. gene-koning

gene-koning

I use 16G and sometimes 18G for the firewall, but I make a bracket that the master cylinder bolts pass through after going through the firewall that extends to the bottom of the dash. The bracket is usually made with 16G or even 14G and is also used to mount the pedal pivot to. With everything bolted together, it stiffens the firewall up a lot. I found the bracket does a better job then using thicker metal on the firewall.

The additional brackets are how the modern cars reinforce the firewall, and in the past, I recycled some late model brackets. Gene

vtx1800 likes this.
  8. southcross2631

southcross2631

16 ga. with a stiffener bracket to the cage dash bar. DSCF3522.JPG

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  9. I aways ad, not only a brace back to the bottom of the dash, but also one up to the top of the dash. this along with the steering column mount, creates the power of multiple triangles.

10. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

I used 10 ga. On mine. Stiff as f*#k, heavy too. But that’s what my dad used on it in the 50’s so I used it as a template