Register now to get rid of these ads!

F250 backing plates BUICK DRUMS again...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tuck, Dec 28, 2003.

1. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Just thought I would share a couple pics... I got some F250 backing plates from Bleed and I was gonna use them for the buick drum conversion.

why did they do this? Its only half a piston?

I took these pics w/ my cam/phone it works slick for stuff like this even thought the quality is marginal the ease makes it worth it...

2. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

so im assumeing I can convert it over to a double? but what was the thinking behind this idea?

3. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

heres a pic of the bottom

4. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Tuck,

I'm going to use F100 wheel cylinders. You'll have to drill another hole exactly like the upper one on the opposite side (that make sense?). I've mocked it up with this setup & everything appears to fit fine, so I'm going that route. I've also heard you can use the rear wheel cylinders, but I think you have to drill a hole for them too...

[​IMG]

neilswheels likes this.

5. 286merc

286merc
    from Pelham, NH

Yep, got those on my F350 also plus that's what is on my 2 axle car trailer that I built in '71. Ford used those single piston setups for ages.

Thinking was that the weight is on the back on those trucks (when used as a truck) and they didnt want the fronts locking up.

neilswheels likes this.
  6. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

The F-100 W/Cyl works. They work on the Lincoln B/Ps too.

Wagner pt# WC41718 and WC41719 still available new from a parts store but don't expect them to have them in stock.

neilswheels likes this.
  7. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

thanks guys~ I'm gonna cast scoops similar to the brizz scoops i got from root for the 40 ford backing plates. I'm makeing a buck out of Ren and ill sand cast them next semester in the metals lab. ill keep ya posted.

tuck

8. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I tried to get the 50's sports car flavor with these fake (yes fake) brake vents on my Lincoln B/Ps. Keep the water out of those drum brakes!! (if you really drive it)
    [​IMG]

9. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Sand cast scoops for F250 plates - hell yeah! Count me in!

I've got some scoops for Lincoln plates & some generic ones for '40 plates - neither work with the F250 plates obviously although I could probably modify the '40 setup. However, purpose-built scoops would be kewl!

[​IMG]

10. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

I can prob do a couple sets and thats it in the lab... If there was a big enough demand.... I would have some done at the foundry since im going through all the work anyways... We'll play it by ear ill give you a heads up when its time Ernie~~~

Tuck

11. Mild Mitch

Mild Mitch

[​IMG]Great post!
    Can you show a photo of the outside of your backing plate? I'm trying to ID some brakes I have on a project, they may be 250's or 350's. I have no other reference.
    Thanks!

12. Hey Tuck, put me down for a set of those cast scoops too. I wanted to run those brakes on my '33 but really wanted scoops, so I opted for the early car brakes.

13. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

[ QUOTE ]
    Can you show a photo of the outside of your backing plate? I'm trying to ID some brakes I have on a project, they may be 250's or 350's. I have no other reference.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, best I can do - hard to see w/o much contrast. Maybe the F350 brakes are the same - anyone?

Also, one of the earlier posts re: F250 brakes had some more (better?) pics of the backing plates. Do a search.

Good Luck!

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

14. Mild Mitch

Mild Mitch

THANKS!
    Photo is good enough for me to tell whether mine are the same.
    Happy New Year!

15. Mart

Mart

I never saw those type cylinders before, but why not use them as is? If cylinders/seals are available, they'd work fine, and have one advantage: there's only one seal to leak.
    I wonder if they're like that to give reduced braking effort when reversing a laden truck to prevent the front wheels locking up when braking?
    Mart.

16. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

It has to be tough to find those.. I can not remember the last time I saw a 53-56 F250 or 350....What are your sources to locate.. Luck, farm fields, swaps???

17. 286merc

286merc
    from Pelham, NH

It has to be tough to find those.. I can not remember the last time I saw a 53-56 F250 or 350....What are your sources to locate.. Luck, farm fields, swaps???

Out this way the 250/350's are much more available than the 100's. Mostly field finds but also still some back along the fence in boneyards.

Here is my 54 F350 "beater" and I recently got a pair of 55 250's.

Attached Files:

18. looz nutz

looz nutz

I just found some F 350 front backing plates but they look different from the F 250 can you use the F 350 backing plates also for this conversion or is it better to use the F 250 only? Thanks. I would like to know becuse I told the guy I'm getting these from that I would let him know. Any help?

19. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

F350 fronts are definitely different - don't know if they can be adapted or not. I believe F350 rears are the same as F250...

20. anybody have an update on the F-250 / F-350 similarity question here?
    I'm about to start parting out a -350 and thought the brakes were useable for this conversion...
    JML

21. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

The rear F350 brakes are the same as F250 front/rear - at least the two I've seen are. These were '53-56 though - can't speak for any other years.

22. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

Bit of a bounce on this, F100 cylinders on f250 backing plates, I'm assuming that f100's are lighter than f250's, so am wondering if they are ok to use on the front of a 'larger' car other than a 32 or similar? I want to fit this setup to a 40 Ford sedan, with a W motor, so there's a fair bit of weight to stop. Thanks

23. alchemy

alchemy

An F-100 has way more braking power than a 40 Ford ever had stock, so it will be a definite improvement. It's because of the self energizing feature.

24. F100 trucks of 53-56 weighted in at about 4500 pounds.The 40 about 3,000-3200.The F series brakes are self energizing.The 40 are not. I always figured good adjusted drums are as good as discs the first panic stop.After that heat comes in to play.Discs have it all over drums when heat comes in to play.I like drums,but respect their limits.

neilswheels likes this.
  25. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

thanks Steve, that helps alot.

26. deucemac

deucemac

I used F2 backing plates on my conversion. I first used F100 wheel cylinders and experienced leakage, I replaced them twice. I went to an F250 wheel cylinder from a 1960, I believe and no leakage since. The F100 uses a smaller wheel cylinder that the F2 or F250. The mount holes are the same and as said before, a second hole is necessary for using the double sided cylinders.

27. ne'erdowell

ne'erdowell

I am installing F2/250 with Buick drums right now. Did you use a master cylinder with built-in residual valves or install separate valves? I’m trying to figure out the reason for the leakage.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

28. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

Based on 40 drums being the same front and rear, and backing plates also basically the same, this swap must be do-able on the back axle as well, f250/f2 rear backing plates and Buick drums, or maybe front backing plates with 40 hand brake mechanism adapted??

29. deucemac

deucemac

I used an International dual master cylinder, much like the Chevy/GMC except for 4 mounting holes and no need to reverse the guts because it mounts in the normal way. I drove myself crazy until using the F250 wheel cylinders. The only thing I can guess is the fact that the wheel cylinder bore was more compatible with the International m/c and perhaps the volume of fluid overwhelmed the F 100 wheel cylinders. I changed the setup several years ago and smooth non-leaking wheel cylinders since.

30. ne'erdowell

ne'erdowell

OK, thanks. Mine will be using an early Mustang MC, which was recommended.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app