Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods F100 Steering Box Seal Replacement?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Deyomatic, Apr 28, 2016.

1. Deyomatic

Deyomatic
    from CT

I'm getting tired of topping off the steering box in my 1960 F100. It is leaking at the pitman shaft. My big question is whether or not the seal passes through the frame, or does the box need to come out? Any other tips?

Thanks.

2. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

Box needs to come out I've never replaced one with out pulling box apart that may be do-able but not sure .. No reason to try

What are you using for oil?

3. Larry T

Larry T

Have you tried any NLGI 00 grease? The infamous "Corn head grease".

4. Deyomatic

Deyomatic
    from CT

I have been using the John Deere equivalent but there is still ooz, no puddles, though. If the box needs to come out, isn't it all one piece with the steering shaft? If so, disregard this post- that is a can of worms I won't be opening.

5. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

I pulled one out the bottom of a 56 once , it was on a lift though .. Removed steering wheel and Un clamped the column .. I had to pull the sector out a tad to get another inch of clearance

6. Where in CT?

7. texkbc

texkbc

add some stp...worked for mine

8. Just pull the box and replace the seal, its no big deal. You can use all the Band-Aid repairs I have done it but there is nothing that replaces good mechanics.

9. tguptill

tguptill
    from Maine

I put Lucas power steering stop leak in mine. It is thick like step and has stopped the leak for the past 2 years.