Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects F100 steering box problem!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KenCash1987, Apr 16, 2014.

1. KenCash1987

KenCash1987
    from Norway

So, I got my steering box on my '59 f100 rebuilt 3 years ago..but I guess the mechanic didn't replace the sectorshaft bushing, allowing it to move back and forth..and slowly rubbing off steel of sector shaft inside the steering box! the steering wheel have always had some play, but I really havent cared so much about that, until now...can anyone point me to a webside that has these sector shafts for sale? Can't find it anywhere..I will try to weld the sectorshaft and grind it down a little at a time 'till it fits, or is it no point in that? Thankful for any advice..

Kenneth

1397632985778.jpg

1397633028025.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

job lot ..NYC

3. KenCash1987

KenCash1987
    from Norway

Thanks! They have stopped making them!

4. Andy

Andy

Is the shaft OK? They are really hard and it may have survived. You can buy new rollers. Replace the roller and the bushings and bearings and you may be OK.

5. Rob68

Rob68

6. KenCash1987

KenCash1987
    from Norway

Thanks guys! I've ordered the roller, wormgear and bushings. Think I'll get them in a month or so :-( have anyone tried to replace just the worm gear on the shaft? Is it hard?

7. KenCash1987

KenCash1987
    from Norway

Ordered from mac's..think its shipped already :) thanks

8. Andy

Andy

I have done it. I supported the worm with a short piece of pipe and set it all in the jaws of a vice. I made a driver from some bar and cut a notch in it to miss the key in the worm. BFH and the worm was off. I clamped the shaft in the vice and used the BFH to drive the new worm on. I used the piece of pipe so I did not mess up the new worm. The pipe pushed on the material just after the bearing surface.

9. Ole don

Ole don

Read the instructions on how to adjust bearings first, then worm. Use a good quality lube. I like straight STP for those. Its thick enough to not seek leaky places, and thin enough to lubricate.

10. KenCash1987

KenCash1987
    from Norway

Thanks guys! I'll give it a shot when the parts arrive :beer:

11. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

You may have to relieve the roller that goes in the sector shaft a bit ... Everyone I have done with the aftermarket one is too wide and binds... It should spin freely when you are done..

12. KenCash1987

KenCash1987
    from Norway

Really? The one I got now, is barely moving :confused:
    Could this be the reason omfor the play in the steering? Maybe a stupid question, but I have no experience with this :p

13. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

Might be some of the problem..as it might have been adjusted loose to compensate for the roller not spinning. When you put everything back in it should all slide in with ease.. If it doesn't measure .. If I remember right it was about .030 too thick.. The aftermarket sector bushings seem inferior too but not a real choice on that unless you find nos stuff ... Also be careful putting worm on shaft you can try heat on one and freezing the other .. The steering shaft will bend easy if not paying attention.. I have gotten lazy and used the cut off wheel to remove the old one too.. Go slow and be careful

Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
  14. KenCash1987

KenCash1987
    from Norway

Thanks for the tips! It slides into place with ease, but it dont spin..will look into that! Heres a picture of my truck

1397830383745.jpg