Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical F100 steering box iron or steel?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 51box, Jul 26, 2016.

1. 51box

51box
    from MA

Does anyone know if the F100 steering box is cast iron or cast steel? I need to weld a different flange on and was wondering what procedure & rod to use. Thanks for any info.

2. alchemy

alchemy

I welded a cast flange from a 32 Ford box to my F-1 box with a regular old MIG welder and whatever wire was in the spool. I did a lot of preheat and post heat with a torch, and pounded the weld with a hammer as soon as I laid the bead. Hasn't cracked in 6,000 miles so far.

I've seen other guys post about the fancy stainless rod they used with their TIGs, but I didn't have any of that on hand when I did mine.

3. 51box

51box
    from MA

Thanks man, so I should be able to just use some 70 and TIG it without any preheat-post heat?

4. Mr cheater

Mr cheater

It's cast steel it wouldn't hurt to throw some preheat on it .

5. alchemy

alchemy

Send a PM to NealinCA. He does this sort of thing every day.

6. I believe @NealinCA will recommend a preheat and silicon bronze filler rod.

7. Sweet & Low

Sweet & Low

I'm at the same place you are, running an F100 box that will require a new flange as the box will need to be re clocked to my steering mount on the dash, my welding shop recommended to use a Tig and use 312 SS rod and definitely Pre Heat the box. Let us know what you did and how it comes out.

8. On a steering component? Is that even legal?

9. F&J

F&J

There is only one law here in the US on rodding... "anything man made needs to be cut up and welded"

you should see what we do with the pitman arms :)

10. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

NealinCA has a thread on here on rebuilding box's and changing flanges. I have one of his rebuilt 37 Hudson boxes in my deuce pu and the flange looks like it was welded onto the box with some type of bronze rod?

11. Sweet & Low

Sweet & Low

When I was a kid, I worked in a large Construction Company yard and you would see those old welders heating up different devices cast and forged and stick welding them together, and all of those old dirt moving vehicles took a beating and the welds held up. I think a lot of this depends on the welders skill level.

12. 51box

51box
    from MA

Silicon Bronze rod is basically for brazing with a TIG instead of a o/a torch. It's not the strongest bonding but if he's been successful with it I'll probably try it. Thanks for the info.

13. Pat

Pat
    from Felton Ca.

My buddy used an F-1 box on his model a. He ground the flats off of the pitman arm splined area so he could re clock it any position. Not sure if that's a correct way but it's running a 392 hemi and 10's of thousands of miles trouble free.

14. Maybe, but what about the great equalizer, LIABILITY.... That sucker will put you down.