My project A got some work done today. After looking at some trick stuff NealinCA did on his F1 steering boxes, it got me thinking. As he said, some boxes were clamped in place rather than being flanged. So... I cut the flanges of my Gemmer F100 box, chucked it in the lathe and turned the output housing side down to 1.875" (1 7/8). At that point I had intended to make a flange and weld it on, but that's where I changed my plans. Then I made a 2 piece "clamp" out of 1"x3" steel, with a 1.875" hole in it to clamp the box where the flange used to be. I located the box in the frame to clear everything and drilled a 1.375 hole for the shaft in the frame. Welded a pad to the lower part of the frame and drilled it for the clamp. After mocking it up, I then drilled a hole in the upper part of the clamp and threaded it for a bolt into the upper half for added strength. So, the new box mounts with three bolts, 2 from the bottom and one from the top side. It's rock solid and seems to work really well. The frame will still get boxed. Last thing was weld the original holes and bolt everything back together. I don't think it's better than welding a flange on it, it's just a different way to do it.