Register now to get rid of these ads!

F100 Steering Box Help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FishMan, Jul 14, 2010.

1. I am in the middle of rebuilding my 57-60 F100 Steering Box for my roadster. The question I have is, does any one have a trick to removing the upper bearing race from the box? I tried breaking it with a chisle but no luck. Any help would be appreciated.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Isn't there a notch in the casting so a long punch can be used to knock it into the housing from the hole for the steering mast? It's probably filled with grease and hard to see.

You can run a bead of weld on the bearing surface of the race. When it cools the race will shrink and be easier to remove.

3. Andy

Andy

I have made a tool a couple of times for this. I keep losing them! I cut a piece of 1/2" plate about 1/2" thick except on the end it has a crook with a chizzle end. The chizzle end bends over and catches the lip of the bearing. Hammer and move it around untill you get it out.

4. F&J

F&J

X2...any race of that type will almost fall out after it cools completely.

5. Tommy, I cleaned it really good but did not see a notch in the hole for the steering mast. So I laid a weld inside the race and it damn near fell out when it cooled down!!

Thanks everyone for the advice.

6. 55chevr

55chevr

7. Raunchy

Raunchy

weld a be..............Oh they said that.