Register now to get rid of these ads!

F100 Roadster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HH Derrick, Jul 23, 2007.

1. HH Derrick

HH Derrick

I want to turn my 1959 Ford F100 into a roadster. Anyone know where I can get ideas for this project? I have some but could always use more.

2. harshhatch

harshhatch

In the june or july issue of rods and customs there was an article on roadster truck.

3. HH Derrick

HH Derrick

I seen that and it is what gave me the idea of doing it. I was hopign to find some live pics of some that may have been done. thanks for replying

4. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

It is a bit later model (67-73, I think), but there is one that may give you some ideas in one of the Mad Max triology movies. I seem to recall that it is in the second movie.

5. Here's an idea: DON"T! If your cab is halfway decent at all, it'd be a waste. I have a cab with a rusty roof you can have for free, if you come get it. Where the heck is Friendswood, anyhow?

6. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Friendswood, TX? South of Houston west of I-45.

7. brewsir

brewsir

Go for it,but before you do I would look at the floor and add supports...most trucks are supported at 4- 6 points and if you cut off the roof everythings gonna get pretty floppy. I would do some kind of bracing for the back half of the cab befor it is cut loose and look at some real roadster trucks for how to finish the metalwork. Then build a carson style top for it when you're done...good luck.

8. HH Derrick

HH Derrick

I appreciate the advice. I would not cut it and build it but I have a 1960 model hot rod and I want something that not many people have. For the hell of it. On the support issue I planned on welding the doors on solid for some support. What is a carson style top by the way. I also plan on taking 15 inches out of middle...

9. Post a pic of a stocker and ask for some photoshop/rendering help here on the hamb...

Steve

11. jcruz

jcruz
    from Austin, Tx

...prolly a good reason not many have one, too! :D

carson-topped is like a "convertable". you do mean "roadster" as in a proper Model A Roadster, correct? i do not know how to build a roadster. i'd probably go nuts trying to turn a roadster into a roadster...much less something ELSE into a roadster. i have an F100 and, frankly, dont know how to do much with that either (hehe).

its a novel idea and i hope you have a blast with it, but...sit back, read up and follow the board for while and see what you think about your idea. i'm all about "bucking the system" and "thinking outta the box" but i'm also a fan of "less is more" and "dont make it something its not".

the '57-'60 F100 are unto themselves and can look killer as is. or...they can look like moving refridgerators.

good luck!

12. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

I think one of them ugly suckers would look pretty neat with the roof cut off and doors welded up. But what do I know? Just brace it everywhere... the welded doors will help a ton. I dunno about that 15" section job. That's gettin pretty ratroddy.

13. just a smidgen south of oregon (Texas)

Welcome to the HAMB Derrick

14. gasser52

gasser52
    BANNED

I chopped the roof of of my 57 and this is what it looks like....before
    [​IMG]
    after
    [​IMG]
    now
    [​IMG]

15. I'm not too clear on what you are thinking / invisioning.

Windshield, no roof, no side or back glas right?

So, will you be running front sheet metal?

Out of the profile to lower the height or down the center of the vehicle to narrow it?

16. skratch

skratch

i'm i really reading this thread.why would you cut the roof off ?

i wanted to do that..damn it !

i have some killer drawings of the roadster truck...
    sorry,no publication...though

17. alviso_jake

alviso_jake
    from nor•cal

a little more claifacation, a carson is like an upholstered hard top, like in opposite of a cloth top. i think the truck idea is awesome post pics as you build it.

18. Is it a narrowed body or more like what is in R&C with just a modified cab?

19. skratch

skratch

think speedster

20. seadevil

seadevil

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR bgColor=#ccccff><TD noWrap align=right>300126899255</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[​IMG]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    Ebay completed section with the above number. Guy did it to a 1970 F100.

21. you gotta share man!

22. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

That R&C just happened to be in the shitter yesterday, it looked like it involved narrowing the cab, shortening it via the doors, and cutting of the bottom of the ab as well.... not saying it wouldn't be cool, but I'd definately not take a primo cab that route

23. HH Derrick

HH Derrick

I would really like to have a small front window and no back. I would like to imulate what was in rods and customs. I plan on running open wheels and no metal on the front. Kinda like a model A raodster but not. I am going to take 15 inches out of the middle to make the truck more narrow. I am going for extreme and not traditional.