Register now to get rid of these ads!

F100 Chassis help please!! How to find/set axle centre lines

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tall Paul, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Hi guys,

I recently stripped my 54 F100 chassis down to the bare minimum in order to fit a new front end (JAG ifs) and a new rear end (triangulated 4 link 9 inch) and removed all spring mounts etc. Now (should of thought of this before..doh!!!) I'm starting to wonder how do i know where to set the centre lines of the axles at??? The body is off the chassis. The chassis is sitting on blocks at the moment. Does anyone have a diagram showing dimensions etc they could email me? anyone know measurements i could take off reference bolt holes or crossmembers etc on the frame??? would the bump stop holes be directly above the axle centre lines???

Thanks for any help,

Paul

2. Jonesey

Jonesey

I can measure the '56 chassis I am working on when I get home. IIRC the center pins are slightly offset on the springs.

3. Ole don

Ole don

Directly over the rear axle there will be a 5/16 hole for the axle snubber to bolt on. That was the rear axle center. Over the front is the same, but most guys move the new front suspension ahead some, an inch or two, to get the front wheels more in the center of the fender opening. It may be a good idea to tack the front end in, then after the body is on, roll it outside, walk across the street and see how it looks. Get away from it to get a real view, then turn the wheels to lock and see what it looks like. Then weld.

4. Over the years I've done many 53-56 F-100 frame graphs. Ole don is correct that there is a 3/8" hole for a factory bump stop over the front axle. I've found that 1 1/2" forward with the new centerline is where I like it. As for the rear. I thought the rear bump stop used 2 bolts to mount to the frame. One forward and one to the rear of center. I believe you can just find center of the 2 holes for centerline. It has been to long for me to swear to that so I'd double check to be safe. Stock rear axle is located fine to wheel well opening. No need to move it around.
    The Wizzard

5. ok cool, thanks guys.

6. Jonesey

Jonesey

I measured just now and the center pin of the spring without any weight on it is 1" behind the front mounting hole for the rear bump stop, but I do not have any weight on it. Once there is a load on it I think the shackles will rock back and bring it to center, but I cannot say for sure right now.

Wish I could help more, just not quite ready to hang the axle yet.