Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods F100 backing plates

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kingfishhotrods, Mar 5, 2017.

?
  1. 7

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. 7

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. kingfishhotrods

kingfishhotrods

Hey Ya'll
    Im looking for guidance on backing plates. I recently bought a 9" from under a 70 F100 without backing plates. Does anyone know which backing plates i can substitute for this rearend. This is going under a 53 F100. I plan to keep the stock bolt pattern as well as the drum brakes.

Thanks
    Kingfish

2. haychrishay

haychrishay

Use the stock backing plates, the bolt pattern should be the same

Beau likes this.
  3. do you know if this 9" rear is big bearing or small? that will make a difference as to what backing plate you use

fyi---i see on the O'reilly website the rear brakes on a 1970 ford f-100 were 11 inches by 2-1/4" wide...shoes and drums are available

4. kingfishhotrods

kingfishhotrods

It is a big bearing rearend. The problem is I don't have the stock plates. The backing plates are what im having trouble finding.

5. Oldbill51

Oldbill51

My 9 in is a big bearing from a Lincoln Versailles and when I converted it from the org. disks to drum I used baking plates and brakes from a Torino. Bought loaded plates from Pete and Jakes. They were great, knew what I was talking about and sent the parts right out.

6. there is big bearing early and big bearing late (Torino)...you probably need the early

if you can't find them at a salvage yard the Pete & Jakes deal may be the way to go

7. Station wagons and 57 and later trucks usually had the larger axle bearings. Those parts are getting scarce. The high scrap prices a few years ago caused a lot of older stuff to be recycled.

8. Beau

Beau

Go to a local rod shop. A lot of times people toss that stuff and use disks. I needed to track down the little arms for the parking brake and pulled a loaded set out of a shops scrap pile for $10.

9. how big of a hurry are you? i looked in my shed and found a pair of big bearing late backing plates with 11" X 2-1/4" shoes, wheel cylinders and hardware.... all need rebuilding, but everything there

you are welcome to have them , but with the issues i'm having with my shoulder it will be a while before i'm up to digging them out and boxing for shipping...maybe with some help?