Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical F100 57-64 drivetrain similarity.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ALABAMA ANDY, Jan 11, 2016.

1. ALABAMA ANDY

ALABAMA ANDY

Hi all.
    I've just acquired a 1960 F100.
    Came over from California & landed in England a couple of months ago.
    Basically the whole front end is very very tired.
    Odd & wrong front springs, leaking shocks, knackered king pins, zero front brakes, worn steering box, etc.......
    The rest is fine & a lot is new, but for some reason the front end was just ignored.
    So........a fella here in England has the complete front end from his 64 F100 that he did a complete front clip on.
    My question is.....does anyone know how much of his 64 front end is interchangeable with my 60.
    I know the front springs are identical apart from the poundage (his 64 ones are 1000lbs where as my 60 ones are 1050lbs).
    My generation F100 went from 57-60.
    His generation F100 went from 61-64.
    So his was basically the last of the leaf sprung single I beam trucks.
    Anyone on here have an idea ?
    Many thanks.
    Andy

2. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

It should be pretty close. I think width is the same, but it might be a hair wider if anything. Sure worth taking a look at

3. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

you might try getting on RockAuto or NAPA websites and compare some of the hard parts,
    i.e. kingpins, tie rod ends, etc., and see how much is common to both. The key in my mind would be the width of the spring centers side to side. If the springs are the same distance apart, I would think swapping the axle would be pretty simple. Any increase in track width would be minimal.

Ray

4. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

my 60 had a 61 axle in it.......no problem - i know the later axles have a little more drop than the early ones.....I have a reamer for those kingpin bushings if your interested.....

5. ALABAMA ANDY

ALABAMA ANDY

Just a little update for those in a similar situation.
    I picked up the 64 front end a few days ago.
    The 64 Beam looks a lot different to my 60 beam when sat next to eachother.
    But the tape measure tells me that everything measures up as pretty much the same.
    As it goes the only thing so far that is different is the length of the front shocks & the shock mounting towers.
    So far so good :)