Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects F1 transmission mash

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Sam Styron, Jan 21, 2018.

1. Sam Styron

Sam Styron

My project is putting a 352FE back into my 1951 F1 with a transmission that I took off of a 292 Y block. I pulled the flat head V8 and 3 speed transmission years ago and installed the 292 with a 3 speed OD. I then installed a 352 FE with a Fordomatic. Now I want to marry the 3 speed overdrive to the 352 FE. Can this be done? If so, which bell housing do need. I picked up a bell but it doesn't mate to the transmission.

The 3 speed OD transmission has a couple of numbers on the casting: 48N: and the OD has R10F-1 04 8-3

Any help will be appreciated

2. squirrel

squirrel

maybe post some pics of the transmission? I've had 3 of them and they all look different! different spline count, shaft diameter, etc.

That said, the R10 overdrive is the weak one, you want an R11 to go behind a big block. If we knew where you are, we might be able to help you find one. theres a place in your profile that you can enter your location

48fordnut likes this.
  3. Reman

Reman
    from Florida

You will at the very least need a bell housing and flywheel for the FE motor. The clutch and pressure plate MAY fit it. Your 3 spd w/OD may bolt up to the FE housing, depending on the year of it. The older ones had a smaller bolt pattern. I have seen those made to work with a bit of modification.

4. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I think you will need a 64 and older car or truck 3 speed FE bellhousing to use that trans,the 4 speed truck trans had a longer input shaft so that bellhousing will not work.

scrapiron likes this.

5. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

As stated, I don't think anyone is going to be able to give you direct part numbers, but find a FE to 3 spd bellhousing from an early 60's Galaxie. The input shaft splines and lengths may still require some fudging depending on your specific part combinations.

I did something similar with a R10 3 spd + OD behind a 351W in my '51 F1 for a few years. Used a 302 bellhousing out of a mid 60's Mustang with the 3 spd out of a '65 289 Galaxie. The Pilot bearing was custom ordered to match the OD and ID, this particular trans had the 26 spline input shaft (not the more common 10 spline), which required a clutch disk from a mid 70's Dodge pickup to match the larger 11 inch Ford truck clutch that was already attached to the motor. All that work only to find out the trans didn't like the torque a mild 351W was making. Stripped most of the teeth off 1st gear after getting on it a bit to hard. A 352 FE will have no problems causing similar damage.