Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical F1 steering with column lock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by FlatJan, Mar 9, 2020.

1. FlatJan

FlatJan

Hi Hambers
    I would like to know if it is possible to convert a 48 F1 steering column/tube and a 37 car column drop to a working steering lock assembly.
    What parts do i need, lock collar or shaft from a car?
    Any one done this before?
    Thanks Jan

2. Budget36

Budget36

Sounds like a cool idea, you'd need the column drop I assume as well.

I've a couple of early Ford steering columns with drops and such, but never took one apart.

Post over on the FordBarn as well, let us know what you come up with.

3. Chappy444

Chappy444
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Maryland HAMBers

Having not done this personally these are the first thoughts that come to mind when thinking about this...
    I have not taken one apart to check feasibility.
    I suppose you could use the on/off switch as a lever to slide some type of small square stock into a slot machined in the column shaft... concerns would include weakening of the steering shaft integrity from matching a notch into a hollow shaft, and having to position the wheel just right to get the parts to slide... after that the key would lock the switch in the off position like normal giving you a "locked" steering.
    Again... just spitballing, first pass thinking.
    Chappy

4. Dak Rat

Dak Rat

Do-able if the F1 column tube is 1-1/2. Pull the column tube off an early Ford column and you will see there is a bracket screwed to the steering shaft that the lock pushes into. The screws are staked on that bracket but not real hard. Of course this is a moot point if the F1 column tube isn't 1-1/2".

olscrounger and town sedan like this.

5. town sedan

town sedan

Just looked at my Hudson box and shaft that's set up for use in a '32 Ford. There is a split sleeve with a pocket for the column lock pin to drop into. It's attached to the shaft with what looks to be two set screws. I'd post a picture, but we'd have to wait for the film to come back from the lab.

If you've got a '37 box, shaft 'n tube pull the wheel and take it apart. When you see how Henry did it things should make more sense. Don't know if you'll be able to use the later tube or not. That will depend on the diameter of the truck tube and of course as Dak Rat said above the diameter of the shaft.
    -Dave

olscrounger likes this.
  6. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^This--there is a split sleeve on the shaft with a hole for the lock pin to extend into--held on as said--easy to remove-should fit on the other shaft if it's the same diameter-then need a hole under the lock in the column tube for lock to engage-the shaft lock.Have done it before but it's been a while.

town sedan likes this.
  7. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Neat idea. Let us know.

8. My F-1 column was 1.5" in diameter.

town sedan likes this.
  9. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

I just did this in my RPU with f1 steering. Just buy the collar and the drop. Drill a hole in the outer tube where the pin hits and then weld the collar onto the inner shaft in that spot. Works great.