Register now to get rid of these ads!

F1 steering trouble

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chota5, Jul 30, 2010.

1. chota5

chota5
    from Nor Cal

First off I spent hours using the search function with no luck.
    I'm using a F1 steering box in a '32 frame. I cut off and redid the flange per the Vern Tardel book. I rebuilt the box. The problem I'm having is the pitman arm does not hang straight down when the steering wheel is in the center. Due to the spline configuration, the pitman arm can go in one of 4 positions. I need it to be in the middle of 2 of those positions. I tryed to take the box apart and rotate the sector shaft. Did not make a difference.
    A lot of people are using this box. Are you guys grinding down 4 of the splines on the sector shaft to index the pitman arm, OR bending a "C" in the pitman arm, or what? Please help.
    Gary

2. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Grind down the stray splines.

3. Yep, you need to re-index the pitman arm, that means getting out the grinder and/or file and adding or removing splines

4. weez

weez

I just heated and bent mine on my channelled A pickup. The more laid down the column is, the more out of whack it is. It takes too long to get places if you can only turn left!

5. chota5

chota5
    from Nor Cal

I had a few pitman arms, so rather than grinding down splineson the sector, I split the 4 fat ones in half with a hack saw and tri-angle file on the pitman arm, seems like it came out good, I can index anywhere now.

6. i took the sector shaft out of the box, and repositioned it,no need to do any grinding. just slide it out of the box, and turn it a bit. at least it worked for me.