Register now to get rid of these ads!

f1 steering help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flathead A, Apr 10, 2009.

1. flathead A

flathead A
    from michigan

I need some help in disassembling my f1 steering .To start, how does the steering wheel come off.I imagine it's press on, but there's threads on the end of the shaft.Is there a website with some info ,I might sound stupid but I don't want to screw anything up be for I start.

2. Bill Van Dyke

Bill Van Dyke

An inexpensive steering wheel puller from Pep boys should work fine. The wheel will have two threaded holes on either side of the hub for that purpose. If you want, shoot a bit of WD-40 on the shaft first.

3. havi

havi

The other end goes straight into the box. You'll want to remove the box and shaft together from underneath.

4. pelly

pelly
    from Petaluma

some of those older 48, 49 f-1's don't have any threaded holes to pull the wheel, you'll have to drill and tap the wheel to use a puller...That's what I have to do on mine.

5. flathead A

flathead A
    from michigan

Thanks for reply,after cleaning it up and getting a better look ,there are 2 threaded holes 5/16th.I think I can make a puller.I'll give it a try.

6. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Didn't Tardel publish a mini-book on overhauling these boxes a while back? Anyhow, once you get them apart, there's not that much to them. You'll figure it out without destroying anything.

7. flathead A

flathead A
    from michigan

Thanks, got the wheel and tube off.Start digging into box next.And yes I do have tardel little book on boxes.

8. Bill Van Dyke

Bill Van Dyke

One more hint which has worked well for me over the years is to fill the rebuilt box with grease not oil. No leaks.