Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical F1 steering box question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 56shoebox, Jun 28, 2017.

1. 56shoebox

56shoebox

What is the purpose of what appears to be a wire coming from the bottom of this steering box?

F1steeringbox2.jpg

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. 117harv

117harv

For the horn.

dana barlow and Poh like this.
  3. 56shoebox

56shoebox

Seriously. I have the same box in my car and I have the hole, but nothing coming out of it. What is the purpose of the hole? Can I seal it with Permatex?

My box drips a very small amount of grease onto the garage floor and I'm wondering if it's coming from that hole or the gasket under the cover.

dana barlow likes this.
  4. butch27

butch27

I just plugged mine with some kind of silicone

5. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

New
    Seriously, yes for the horn. It goes down the column shaft and exits via a copper tube, if all is well it should not leak,, and you should be able to remove and not have it leak. But of course if you have the stock steering wheels and such you will need it to wake up the cell phone users.
    You did open your box to make sure all is well inside?

dana barlow likes this.
  6. 56shoebox

56shoebox

Yeah, the box works fine. Thank you guys for answering my question. I never would have thought it was for the horn wire. I'll plug mine and see it that is where the minute leak is coming from.

7. 56shoebox

56shoebox

Another question. Under the plate, where the horn wire comes through, is that a gasket or shims? It appears the 48 and earlier box has shims. Mine is supposedly a 1950 steering box.

8. alchemy

alchemy

The end cover that should have a short tube attached to it up inside the innards of the box, has shims. These gasket shims adjust the preload on the worm gear.

Sometimes those tubes that attach to the end cover come loose, and then the lube will leak out of the box rather readily.