Register now to get rid of these ads!

F1 steering box in a '33 frame

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Eyeball, Nov 24, 2003.

1. I have been kicking around steering ideas for a while now for my '33. I was planning on a Vega box (but they are so Fn' expensive) or a '39 box and using a cross steer set up.

Then about a month ago I picked up a couple of F1's so I decided to go with a side steer with the F1 box in the original location. I have read AV8's book on how to adapt this box to an A frame but was curious if this is the best way to adapt it to the '33 frame as well.

I do not have a stock steering box to cut up either so I will need to find one of these as well if I use the Bishop method. I could also just modify the frame to fit the box. Any thoughts on which way to go?

2. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

According to an article in a "FLathead" issue of Street rodder about 10 yrs ago, you don't need the original steering box to get the mounts off in order to mount the F100 box.

Just slot the holes, and use the 34 pitman arm.

I haven't got a scanner to copy the article, but I'l bet someone else has the article as well.

3. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

eyeball u have any pics of yer '33... im not trying to hijack just wana see a photo [​IMG] I seen pics of your chev on the topper site it rocks~

4. manyolcars

manyolcars

You dont use any part of the original box to put a F1 into an A. I would guess that would apply to 33-4s also.

5. mecutem

mecutem

If the frame tapers on the 33/34 frame like a 32 frame does another way to mount the F1 and F100 box is to make a wedge shim to go between the frame and the box. The angle on the early ford frames is more than the pickups the boxes came off from. If the pickup box is mounted up against the inside rail on a 32 frame the column points toward the drivers door...not cool. 32 frames need about 0 at the front hole and about 1/2 inch thickness at the back. I am still pondering the best way to whip one up without needing a machine shop. This little tapered spacer is a part that someone with machine access could whip up pretty easy. Someone should start makin them maybe? Steve

6. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]
    This is F100(53-56) box and pitman arm in a 32 frame. I know the F1 box (48-52) is slightly different. The F100 mounting flange needs to be trimed to fit inside the frame rail. The hole for the sector saft in the frame needs to be opened up. A tapered wedge or washers are needed between the flange and the frame to get the angle correct for the steering wheel. Your F1 will be slightly different but the idea is the same. I think you will need to use the F1 pitman arm.

7. I put a F1 box in my 32 rails the same way Steve is saying.I (machined) the spacer with my grinder and cutoff disc.I also welded up the original 3 mounting holes cuz I layed my column down a lil,then redrilled em to where I wanted em.I used the F1 pitman arm too but modified it some too.I have an article somewhere that shows Sam Foose and Bud Bryant building the R&C project 29AV8 in 69,they showed how to do this.Lotsa detailed pics in it........Shiny

8. haring

haring

I'd be interested in seeing more pictures of the details. I have an F-1 box that I am considering using on my '32 truck. I will be using repop rails.

9. av8

av8

Steve -- Vern Tardel does make and sell a wedge shim for adapting an F-100 box to a Deuce frame. It's $50.00 plus $5.00 S&H.

Attached Files:

10. just steve

just steve
    Member Emeritus

Mike and others --

Can somebody out there grab a tape measure and tell me how much space the F-1 or F-100 boxes require? Say from the mounting face of the box to the innermost point.

Right now I'm planning on '40 Ford cross-steer for the '32, but would consider one of these if it'll clear the Buick starter. I suspect it won't clear though . .

Thanks,

Steve.

11. FORD FAN

FORD FAN

F1 box measures 7" from flange to oposite side of the box. I had to build a bump out in my frame because the mast jacket didn't have clearance with the engine. It's a 351 W which is mounted low in the frame.

12. Good info...... so is my best bet to weld up the holes in the frame for the stock steering box and just redrill for the F1 box?

Tuck here is a pic of the body as it sits now, The frame is in the jig, I just finished boxing the frame except for the front where the steering box will go.

Attached Files:

13. I'd weld up the three lil holes and go from there........Shiny

14. just steve

just steve
    Member Emeritus

FF -- Thanks -- I'm probably going to have to stick with the cross-steer, which is fine. Damn Buick starter is right in the way.

My frame had the Buick in it, with a stock '32 box in a bump-out in the frame. Don't like it.

Eyeball -- good looking body; nice proportions on that chop. Looks a lot like my brother's 34 5-window.

later,
    Steve.

15. I don't think I'd weld up shit! That area of your original 33 frame has been subjected to forces and abuses that will have prolly fatigued the metal over the years. I'd drill a nice, virgin chunk of 11 gage [maybe even 1/4"] for the steering box mount holes and cut out the old section. Weld in the new piece at the angle and tilt you need without any hokey adapters or wedges. Much nicer job when finished and safer too. Just my opinion.

16. mecutem

mecutem

Thanks av8 for that info. I will certainly consider one for my car. I can carve one up by hand but Vern's piece looks nice and clean and EASY. Steve

17. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Why are the F1 pitman arms necessary for the F100 box swap?
    Darn! Something ELSE to round up I guess. [​IMG]

Bill

18. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

F1 (48-52) and F100 (1953---?) are different beasts. The F1 uses a splined connector and will take early Ford pitman arms and probably lots of others. The F-100 uses an odd clamp-on arrangement vaguely reminiscent of a Model A and probably interchangeable with nothing.
    The Econoline is a lighter version of the F-100 with a similar but smaller clamp on arm.

19. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just Steve. I ran into the same starter/steering box clearance issue with my 32 frame and Pontiac motor. I moved the engine 3/4 of an inch to the passengers side. Now I have plenty of clearance and no one has ever noticed it.

Good luck, -Abone.

20. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Ahhhh yes! Thanks for clearing that up Bruce!
    I misread the posts and thought the guys said they were using F1 pitmans on the F100 box!
    I have a F100 box but I'm not familiar with the F1 box at all.

Thanks again!
    Bill

21. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Steve, some pictures of the installation in my roadster. Hope they help. This is the F100 style. I remember reading an article that said Ford used the same basic box up to 1960 but I can't confirm that.

22. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

It might be useful to know that F1 and F100 boxes will give somewhat different clearances because one has the works mainly above the main shaft and the other mainly below. The F1 is also I think a bit smaller in the box area.

23. NealinCA

NealinCA

[ QUOTE ]
    [ I remember reading an article that said Ford used the same basic box up to 1960 but I can't confirm that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, the 57-60 box looks identical to the 53-56...except the mounting flange is larger. It looks like you could trim it down to fit an early frame though.

Neal

24. Southfork

Southfork

When I was looking for a F100 (53-56) steering box for my 32, all I found was a '56 large truck steering column/box. I passed on it. But I was later told by a fellow rodder that the gearing in the big truck box is actually preferable to the half-ton F100 box gearing. Anybody gots any opinions on that?