Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical F1 steering box and exhaust

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Choppedcoupe, Mar 20, 2021.

1. Choppedcoupe

Choppedcoupe

My 31 Ford Coupe on 32 rails has a F1 box. I’m building the exhaust. I want to keep the exhaust under the car so that I can run a hood. I can either pass the exhaust under the oil filter, or under the steering box. Here are some pics that show the routing. The exhaust will be Jet Hot ceramic coated. There’s about 1-1/2” air space between head pipe and exhaust (the one photo makes it look closer due to camera angle). Do you guys think the box is gonna get too hot, From heat rising off the head pipe? If so, have any of you made a heat shield between your box and your exhaust?

Attached Files:

2. sdroadster

sdroadster

You can build a heat shield if your concerned about the steering box getting too hot. I would use the two small bolts at the bottom of the box (shown in the picture) and build a shield out of stainless sheet metal. I have found stainless works better than aluminum. Stainless reflects heat, and aluminum tends to absorb it.

nochop likes this.
  3. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

If it were mine, I would think there is plenty of room there.

Lost in the Fifties likes this.
  4. panheadguy

panheadguy
    from S.E. WI

I don't see a problem the way it is.

5. alchemy

alchemy

My sedan has an F-1 box and the header goes around the side closer than yours is. I have never had it look like it's boiling over or seize up. I use John Deere corn head grease in the box.

ct1932ford likes this.
  6. magnus13

magnus13
    from California

What pitman arm are you using? I have a similar setup but using a stock arm and its much longer.

7. Choppedcoupe

Choppedcoupe

I think it is just the angle of the photo. My pitman arm is 6" long. Bent as required to clear the radius rod, it has an effective length of 4.5". I'd like a longer pitman arm to give me a better steering ratio. Thinking about buying one meant for a Ford tractor.

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd agree, it wouldn't be hard to make a small SS heat shield and swap the end bolts on the box for studs with nuts and then nuts for the shield but am not sure that it is necessary on that one.

9. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

You have plenty of clearance as is.
    That copper brake line can give you and other people serious problems down the road.

10. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

That’s plenty of room