Register now to get rid of these ads!

F1 spindles

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by EnglishBob, Apr 26, 2011.

1. EnglishBob

EnglishBob

I've searched and found lots of relevant posts but no definitive answer.
    Can I use 1951 F1 spindles on an aftermarket 'A' dropped axle?
    Looks like they should fit but read somewhere the camber angle is all wrong.
    Thanks
    Bob

Last edited: Apr 26, 2011
  2. Danny G

Danny G

I used 49 spindles on a tube axle in my stude but the kingpins in the later, as in 56 are bigger

3. Rob Paul

Rob Paul

Oops, I guess they will fit.

Rob

Last edited: Apr 27, 2011
  4. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

F1 has the same king pin diameter and inclination so it fits right up.
    The Doane Spencer Roadster runs them!

F100 has a larger kingpin and different diameter but can be made to fit with the proper machining of thicker bushings and axle bending. NOT easy and cheap obviously so not recommended...just possible.

5. EnglishBob

EnglishBob

Excellent.
    Thanks Guys.
    Bob

6. Ratgoat

Ratgoat

I'm confused..sorry. Does it work or no? I have a 48 ford f1 axle. Want to buy tube axle from eztbucket and use my spindles and whatever. If it will work

7. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I am going to throw a bit of a wrench in this, and I don't mean to confuse anybody, but... We had a long thread on this subject going a bit ago and a couple of us came up with something off the wall. I personally have three sets of F-1 spindles and brakes that I have bought loose at swaps over the last several years. The king pins all fit early Ford axles '28 - '48, But 1 pair that I have has a different king pin inclination than the orthers. it's not different by much, just a degree or so, but it is different. Since my spindles all came from different sources and none that I personally removed from the original trucks myself, I can't honestly tell you if they made a change in say '52, or maybe 3/4 ton truck, or something to that effect. Someone else on this same thread from awhile back had the same problem. I have used them successfully on early Ford applications in years past (with aftermarket steering arms), and wasn't aware that there was a difference until I was challenged here on the board. Sure enough, start switching stuff around and there it is... Just my 2cents.

8. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

This website would be the best source of information in the entire world if it had a functioning index

9. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Honestly, I think this thread that I'm thinking of started as a thread about putting early Ford brakes on F-1 spindles, probably about October of last year. The king pin inclination deal kind of grew organicly from that discussion. When someone else first pointed it out,I shot my mouth off and said "no way"... Walked out in the shop, grabbed a known straight '36 axle and started putting F-1 spindles on and measuring. Sure as hell, I'm wrong! One of my sets was different.

10. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

It's out a degree or so but the kingpin fits?
    Sounds well within the range of proper wheel alignment using bigger truck axle bending equipment anyway so no problem.
    The main issue I would be concerned about is having the pin fit the axle...and its even better that the potential for this NOT aligning by simply installing the spindles to the axle is small at best.

Sometimes things need minor tweeking to be exact. Its expected.

Actually...in Hot Rodding...MAJOR tweeking is the norm! ;):D

11. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I agree that a good large truck alingment shop should be able to take care of it when beam axle is used, but I just wanted to let that out so no one down the line scratches their head and say WTF?... They all said it would work... It would kinda suck if you had a tube axle and this deal!

12. Blackie

Blackie

I was one of those that pointed the inclination problem on the other thread. That degree of difference means each wheel is out at the top of center by almost a half inch or more with a 6.00x16. Camber issues and Biased ply tires equal major handling problems. Best advice I could give is to switch out the spindles and use the F1 brake guts, backing plates and drums. Pretty easy ...

Sent from my POS phone.

13. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

BUT it isn't a problem on every F1 spindle.
    What needs to happen here is we find out if the spindles are all the same part number and then if they aren't...we find out why the similar spindles were machined with a different KPI.

I'm not going to condemn EVERY F1 spindle because a few popped out of the woodwork a degree off.

They may not even be considered an actual F1 part!
    Could be from a different weight class or something.

ALL those things are now almost 60 years old. Who knows what mixing and matching has happened over the years.

I see this as a minor old parts glitch...not catastrophe.

14. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

I've done this search 5 or 6 x this is the first time seeing this post ...any way I hope Hacker was right......lol

Last edited: Oct 3, 2015
  15. They fit, have tried them on Model A axle, Ford Pilot axle and 33 to 36 transverse axle.
    You can even modify the swan neck steering arm attached to the drivers side to work in a transverse sidesteer setup

16. Here is my modified F1 spindles to fit a 33 to 36 style axle ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1443861548.941225.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1443861598.848106.jpg

17. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

Thanks Richie nice work! which kingpins did you use?

18. Standard F1 kingpins, you use the kingpins to match the spindles, sometime you might need to grind the kingpin grove up or down a bit.
    All fords used the same diameter kingpin from 1928 to 48 for cars and F1/F100 to 1956

19. nobux

nobux

42-48 car and 48-52 F1 kingpins are the same. F-100 are bigger in diameter.

20. I stand corrected :) was not 100% on 53 to 56

21. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

Thanks again guys its great to hear the same info from several sources and in particular people with real life experience